Single handed cabinet scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across two of these yesterday while discussing with my father the problems I was having planing thin strips of wood. Out from under his bench appeared not one but two of these and some brand new blades.

http://www.diytoolbox.co.uk/items/Skars ... t-62Mm.php

The hooked blades is actually curved when it is held in the handle and it does produce some very fine curlies single handed. Which in my case left one hand free to hold the wood.

Does anyone else use one?

Andy

Andy,

Somewhere in my back catalogue of Woodworker mags I have a tiny article about the launch of these and how they'll replace the old fashioned card scraper, or words to that effect. Yep. Just like the Surform was going to make planes redundant... My dad uses one all the time for rough paint removal and so forth and I've tried it a couple of times. Unfortunately the Scots in me whispers "these blades cost more than turning a fresh burr on a card scraper, ya daftie" so I tend to view them with a jaundiced eye. Good point about being able to use it with one hand; hadn't thought of that. Although I do use an ordinary card scraper one handed sometimes.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Somewhere in my back catalogue of Woodworker mags I have a tiny article about the launch of these and how they'll replace the old fashioned card scraper, or words to that effect.

You must have must have a very large library, as Skarsten scrapers have been around since time immemorial! :lol:

Andy,

The they do work well if you use two hands. With single handed use it is all too easy to roll the blade to one side and dig into the wood.

David

Ham":3a23uj8j said:
Somewhere in my back catalogue of Woodworker mags I have a tiny article about the launch of these and how they'll replace the old fashioned card scraper, or words to that effect.

You must have must have a very large library, as Skarsten scrapers have been around since time immemorial! :lol:
David, you have no idea... :roll: Although maybe I wasn't looking far back enough, thinking about it. I'll have another look-see...

<rummage, rummage>

And speak of the devil, here 'tis in October 1936. I'll see if I can get a scan up of the article. :D

Cheers, Alf

Ham":29blrak8 said:
With single handed use it is all too easy to roll the blade to one side and dig into the wood.

David, Yes, I can see how that would happen.

I was using them last night on strips of wood about 6" long and only about 1/2" wide. Holding the strip with one hand and using the scraper in the other was therefore easy.

AndyP

Thanks Alf, very interesting especially the bit about raising the scraper to take a heavier shaving. At only 2/6 a real steal as well.

AndyP

I have used these in the past but only for removing paint and glue! Alf, I see that your article says they can be resharpened with a file, I shall try to dig out mine and see how it works.

I also note the idea of pushing the blade out at one side to use them on fretted work - I don't do that but there are occasions when it is difficult to get a standard scraper into a corner and it might be very handy for that.

Well remembered and another brilliant look-up by Alf the Archivist!

<Reaches for 1958 Buck and Hickman catalogue. Flip of pages, whiff of workshops of yesteryear momentarily waft in front of the monitor>

Lessee... #62 was 4/6 back then, almost certainly cheaper when it was launched...

<Thump as B&H slammed shut, footsteps, noise of metal object getting a good kick>

If only I could get this darn Time Machine to work, and have as gullible a customer base as MJD... :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Wondering if BB's managed to injure himself on the Skarsten "Awlscrew" yet - or get arrested for owning an offensive weapon... :wink:

I also note the idea of pushing the blade out at one side to use them on fretted work - I don't do that but there are occasions when it is difficult to get a standard scraper into a corner and it might be very handy for that.

I purchased mine to use when stripping paint from pine furniture, doors etc and found the ability to slide the blade out sideways was very handy in tight spots. The downside was that if I'd been using chemical stripper the blade would often dig in due to the fibres being damp in the very places that I needed to clear.

David

Back