Simply enjoying myself.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score

_________ ___
______________Burr Elm & Beech __________________Ash & Beech
_________ ___

______________Apple 123mm__________________Oak 310mm

Glad to see your still enjoying yourself Chas.
Is this the start of a new thread. :?:
All very nice pieces.
Like the grain on the Apple and Oak. :D

Paul.J.

I'm not generaly a pen fan but I like those. They look something special whereas so many ( to me) look ordinairy.

In response to Jenxes query re wood distorting and splitting in the 'locked' thread:
I have a bowl in beech that I turned about 6 months ago. Had it in the house with no problems until I moved. This new house is much warme and I have lost a bowl and gained an object d'art. (At least SWMBO likes it) I'll take a photo of it as a warning that climate change can have a drastic effect.

Pete

Bodrighy":3uqtuerz said:
I'm not generaly a pen fan but I like those. They look something special whereas so many ( to me) look ordinairy.

Perhaps it's more your kind of wood Pete, got loads of 'plain' wood blanks but have decided that from now on they will be in the main from character wood salvaged from the bits heading for the firewood bag.

_________ ___ ___
___________________Beech ___________________Yew (137mm)__________________Yew (117mm)

_________ ___

________________The Makings_____________Cocobola (Handle 132mm)

Just for the odd occasion when a bit tighter marking is required on a pen blank or I slip into the flat world.

Hi Chas,
Where do you get your pen blanks from?
I have been searching and all I can find are "slimlines" twist pens.
I would like to try a "click" type but where are they?
Thanks for any help.

Excellent work, Chas (as always!)
Glad to see you are keeping busy. The marking knife - how did you make the ferrule and brass bits? One piece or split?
Cheers
Philly the Inquisitive :D

Being the skinflint that I am and reluctant to waste my stock of solid brass rod I salvaged part of the old tap for the ferrule.

The ferrule is quite thick walled, it adds weight to the business end and I like it that way, the rear finial on the handle just locates above the thumb-forefinger joint.

The Split Wedges were from the tap but are basically piece of 3/8" brass rod, sawn down the middle, filed flat on the inner surface and re-assembled with a sliver of card material between and a drop of CA, turned to size, domed and slight taper machined on them, then split apart with sharp knife.

I used the metal lathe but you could use wood lathe and HSS tools for both jobs.

Have now put together some "How To's" on Blade & Collet manufacture. as used on the above knife

Sorry some of the pics are poor but by the time I checked the images out of the strong sunlight it was too late to retake. I think you will get the idea anyway.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of taking the owner of my local wood supplies along to point out items that could possibly be put to more worthy a cause than firewood. It was duly arranged that as and when time permitted they would be felled and moved in my direction.

These two samples of coloured Ash are but the start of the exercise, how the guy lifted them out of the truck I don't know, I could only roll them, there is another 4mtrs or so of the same to come. As can be seen the tree has had a long standing crack down its whole length for some time.

___________ click on images for larger view

_________ ___

Looks like you've got some nice wood their Chas.
Does that black colouring go all the way through :?:
Will look forward to seeing what you turn out with it :D
Nice bradawl by the way,and how to piccies.

Paul.J":3pnk9xix said:
........Does that black colouring go all the way through :?:

No it is just surface mold Paul, this wood is from the standing stump left when the top shattered in storms last year, hopefully when dried it will produce the same sort of colouring as that wood.
smDSC02468.JPG

Edit: Apologizes Paul, it would appear on closer inspection and further dividing of the wood that the above assertion that it is just mold is wrong, having dried the surface and investigated various fissures in the pieces it seems to be a natural creosote like staining (smells like it also)

Judging by the partially healed split down one side I suspect the tree had a lightening strike some years ago.

_________ ___ ___
______________Beech & Cocobola________________(130mm High)

Excellent Chas, I'm just in the process of making one myself. I cannot tell a lie, I pinched the idea from on-line as well. :oops: Was told about it by one of the members so decided to make one.

Back