Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Simple workbench - just 4 bits of wood and some worktop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MixedHerbs

Established Member
Reaction score
My second post as a newbie.

Well, as I said in another thread. I have recently moved into a larger house with a workshop in the garden. The workshop is an agricultural building measuring 40 feet by 20 feet with an en suite toilet (very important).

I placed my work-mate in the middle and it looked ridiculous. I decided I needed a proper workbench. Long ago, in another place, I was reading one of the previous issues of Scott Landis's Workbench Book. It had a picture of a Shaker workbench on the cover. A big one. "That'd be nice". I said to myself - and then folded up my workmate because I had to cook
supper. (As an aside, I would not recommend routing Paduk in the dining room just before a meal).

I now had the space. I re-discovered the book and decided I was not fussed with the drawers etc. I just wanted a big workbench on which I could spread out a plan on one half and make things on the other.

After some research, I found a local supplier of greenheart - complete with marine growth. The timber was 12 inches by 12 inches and about 15 feet long. They agreed to cut it into 4 pieces each 33 inches long. They had to order a new chain saw blade. Once delivered, I discovered they were cut skew even though each side may have been 33 inches long.

Each leg weighed approximately 200 pounds and had to be machined square. I heaved one onto the floor and out of curiosity I tried cutting it with a pretty sharp chisel. The wood took one look at the chisel and laughed at me.

After my router died, I bought a half inch 1850w Hitachi replacement and some CMT bits. I needed to re-sharpen each bit after machining one side of a leg. The legs are now 10 inches by 10 inches and exactly 32 inches long.

The workbench top consists of two lengths of 70mm beech worktop each 3 metres by 60cm.

The rear piece of worktop has cupped a little, but overall I am very pleased.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c55/MixedHerbs/?action=view&current=Workbench2.jpg

Regards, Peter.

PS. I hope you all have a splendid new year.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Cor! :shock:

I shall be interested to see how you move it when you (inevitably) decide it's in the wrong place!

Welcome to the forum Peter.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Peter, those legs look a little thin to me :lol: :lol:

What are they? A foot square?

Andy
edit just re-read your post all the dims are there :oops: :oops: Hangover wot hangover?

Latest posts