Simple small toolbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi folks,

I have received advice that a toolbox would be a lovely place to start trying out my newfound woodworking "skills," plus which I won't trip over the planes, clamps, and chisels currently at risk of gouging the floor. And my hubby might start to like me again.

Some have mentioned the Toolbox book, but I don't think I have the money to order it and local bookstores don't seem to be carrying a browsing copy.

Alf posted a nice picture of what seems a pretty traditional design for a portable box, which is what I need. Nothing to compare with her tool chest plans!

I can see that in addition to the basic box that you just fling things into, there are various slots and holders to keep things upright and organized. That suits my tidy mind.

I'd like to see a few more designs to kind of get my head around it. Like where do I put the planes? is one kind of wood better than another? can I make it from cheap pine or will I regret it? why is that dozuki so *long* and what will I do with that? etc etc

So would greatly appreciate help and advice, bearing in mind that it needs to be fairly simple as I have pretty limited skills. Though (self pat on back) I did just complete a Mortise and Tenon, following Peter Korn's book -- and Alf, he has a nice description of a shooting board in his section on squaring up a board, I think I recalled you were looking for one.

All advice appreciated!

evie":4tudc4ua said:
I'd like to see a few more designs to kind of get my head around it. Like where do I put the planes? is one kind of wood better than another? can I make it from cheap pine or will I regret it? why is that dozuki so *long* and what will I do with that? etc etc
Well this is a start. And this. I know there are others out there, so I may be back... :)

evie":4tudc4ua said:
Peter Korn's book -- and Alf, he has a nice description of a shooting board in his section on squaring up a board, I think I recalled you were looking for one.
Oh really? Not sure I have that one. This as good an opportunity as any to mention I'm trying to get as many net-based shooting board plans and ideas togther as possible. It's a recurring query, and Jeff Gorman's two are about all that ever get mentioned; thought it might be nice to have a shooting board page. So if anyone has come across any that might not have come up in a Google, or has plans/pics of their own they wouldn't mind being included, please yell. :)

Cheers, Alf

Hi evie

Maybe you might consider a slightly different approach? A toolbox to store the smaller tools such as screwdrivers, chisels, marking kit etc. and something like Philly's plane storage cabinet for other, larger items.

http://www.philsville.co.uk/planecabinet.htm

I think that Philly's cabinet should make a nice and easy introductory project if you leave out the dovetails and use screws or bisuits or lap or butt joints

have fun

Wow. I looked and looked on my own, and didn't find any of these! Thank you! I love the modular system one. Modular = modernist = rational = good (as the Swede beside me says). But the double-sided tote is where I'm leaning. But possibly too complex for me at this stage. Still, why not jump in at the deep end?

How about this as a net-based shooting board description?

evie

Hello folks,

I can offer a couple of links that I collected during the years but some of them lead to other forums and I don't know if that would violate the TOS.
Please let me know if it would be ok to post them.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks, that’s good to hear, Alf.

The links don’t really show simple tool storage solutions but I hope that they are still useful as inspirations for your own design.

Tool cabinet1
Tool cabinet2
Tool cabinet3
Tool cabinet4
Tool cabinet5
Tool cabinet6
Tool cabinet7
Tool cabinet8
Tool cabinet9
Tool cabinet10
Tool cabinet11
Tool cabinet12
Tool cabinet13
Tool cabinet14
Tool cabinet15

Not all “cabinets” are real “cabinets”. Some of them are rather shelves/racks and open storage but I’m too lazy to correct that.

Open storage and toolbox combined

Toolbox
Special pegboard rack

A commercial but still nice (IMO, of course) “system”:
DominiDesign

And this is my main toolbox:

Kiste2.jpg

Kiste3.jpg

Kiste4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Christian

Ay caramba! :shock:

But you missed one. :wink: :lol: Although many of them are in your links too, I see. #-o William Duffield's chisel rack was one I was going to look for myself, so you've saved me a search there. :D

Cheers, Alf

Ay caramba is right!

I'm getting my ideas together though, thanks for all the posts. It looks like toolchests really are used to show off (in a nice way) -- only one person dared post a picture of the cardboard boxes he keeps his saws in.

Most of the pictures are for in-workshop fixtures (some exceptions of course), whereas I need to be able to carry mine around - if only to put in the house so it doesn't get rained on. I'm going to have to cover the workbench, when it exists, I guess. Probably although I like the totes I will need to make a flat-topped box as no doubt I'll want to put things on it, and it will be easier to keep dust and dirt out that way.

evie

Evie,
There are totes with lids too...

Beware of making a toolbox too big, I always err in this direction and then find the darn things so heavy when filled with tools, I can't carry them. For my latest mistake in this direction (and there have been predecessors :oops:), I made myself quite a nice toolbox for carving tools before I joined a carving class, then I found that sometimes I had to walk a "mile" to the class (anyway, too far to be carrying much).

My solution to this problem was to buy a wheeled plastic thingie from Focus (DIY shed) for about £25 and to put my tools in rolls - Scott a forum member gave me a lovely leather one - this makes it a whole lot easier to navigate the mean streets between my car and the class. There is also plenty of room for other stuff like the carving I am working on and so forth.

It is also helpful, especially at the start, not to get too hung-up on trying to decide where everything should "live". Like workshops, toolboxes evolve and you can't hurry the process, it proceeds inexorably at the rate at which you work and use the toolbox. The less "dedicated" spaces you have for tools, the more general purpose space you have. When you have been building pianos as long as Studeley, then by all means design the perfect toolbox!

Evie

To paraphrase Chris:

"The less "dedicated" spaces you have for tools, the more room you have to expand as you buy more!!" :D :D :D

He's right enough about your toolbox evolving and it would be a tragedy if your tool storage isn't flexible enough to include new toys!

:D

So maybe a good start is:

a simple box, long enough for the dozuki -- since I need practice building simple boxes -- maybe with a till on top to take some of the smaller things, and a piece of wood with holes bored through it or slots or whatever to hold the chisels attached to one of the inside walls. Maybe with rope handles on either end. And if I get very clever, a hinged lid.

evie

Evie,
That should do it basically. Be very careful you don't design/make it in such a way that a finger can be caught on the sharp end of a chisel when groping for other stuff - it can really spoil your day - DAMHIKT!

Scott - no rust problems yet, I am glad to report.

waterhead37":1an6whcv said:
Scott - no rust problems yet, I am glad to report.

Glad to hear it Chris! I'm sure your carving tools are getting more use than mine!

Some have mentioned the Toolbox book, but I don't think I have the money to order it and local bookstores don't seem to be carrying a browsing copy.

2 words.

"Local Library"

BugBear

Good idea, bugbear, unfortunately I have extensively browsed their selection, and they don't have it either. I'm going to check the possibilities for inter-library loan, though.

evie

You are full of genious-ness, Alf. Thanks much. I am still contemplating.

evie

Back