Simple small toolbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's this design that's always bugged me in that regard. The way most are done, like this example, the dovetails have to go into the side grain of the ends, which isn't great. But if you make the sides so the long grain goes round the box then you have a fair chance that the upper section will break along the grain and remove your handle. Really a separate handle assembly would be better, I suppose, albeit more labour than is perhaps justified. But it seems to be a popular and long-used design, so maybe I worry about nothing. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Just a speculative question:

Why is it that many toolbox designs have half-opening lids, like this one.
d-sawb.jpg

What's the advantage over having a lid that just comes off, or is hinged on the side?

evie

Evie,

I suspect it's in order to form a well for larger, bulky items. If the whole side folded down everything would fall out of such a glory hole regardless of whether you wanted it to or not. If it came off entirely, rather than folded down, I think it might take more work to make and also any tools stored in the lid would become available to "walk" - lid and all.

'Course, it could just be "they've always been made like that, why should I change it?" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Back