Simple shop made tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
20220208_140008.jpg
20220208_140044.jpg

Terry the two jaw braces are meant to drive the square taper bits you show but also hold the hex. The middle brace above was my fathers, bought when I was a little crib crab back in the days when hex drive bits were rare.

Pete

Is it not a drift...for belting things in or a depth gauge as well as drift. Just a thought. Why because I used to use one at home but originally borrowed from school metal class room.

The brace gives really good control and although it's a very old one it does hold the hex shank fairly well, the ground down area is a snug fit inside the m8 inserts which helps keep things straight and helps stop the bit caming out of the insert and chewing up the top.
The inserts i'm using are steel but are still quite soft so spoil easily but I think it would work just as well on the really soft alloy ones.

I use a bolt and washer in the insert. the ratchet ( or sometimes impact driver ) winds the insert in and the bolt body stops it deforming. The clearance hole is the mist important thing, especially in oak!

The brace gives really good control and although it's a very old one it does hold the hex shank fairly well
I had some huge(M14 i think) fittings to put a gate post onto a wall for some large double garage doors I'd made for a customers house/garage extension. Our drill died, it didnt have the power to drive the bolt home. The builders who had built the extension came out with a big hitachi , it didnt have the oomph either.
Had a sudden brainwave. I nipped out to our van, got a brace and bit, fitted a square drive to it, added a socket for the bolt, and worked it back and forth till i drove it home completely.
Many nods of approval from the builders :D

You cannot beat a good brace and bit for the jobs even the most modern of tools struggle with. I'll hazard a guess the builders added a brace to their inventory that day.

Back