simple question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can I use a 190mm blade in a circular saw designed to fit 185mm blades

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
can I use a 190mm blade in a circular saw designed to fit 185mm blades?

I have a circular saw I am borrowing and want to change the blade, also what blade is recommended for the finest/smoothest cut for MDF? I was looking at 40 and 60 tpi blades, but one of them was 190mm and one 185mm.

I reckon the guard will likely catch and get damaged.
That is the case with 295 and 300mm mitre saws,
so am going to take a pot shot guess most designs of guards are the same,
whether due to safety standards, or necessary design, or something else like extraction.

Best check with machine isolated and try spinning it with fingers....
I think I tried that, and likely couldn't rotate the blade to check.
Likely I just wasn't trying, and there was a way to find out without plugging it in.
I doubt it would'a been a quick job to do a proper test.

I would keep to the manufacturer’s recommended blade as this is what the saw is designed for . As for cutting mdf the higher the tooth count the finer the cut. As MDf is not solid wood most blades will give you a decent cut as long as you can maintain a steady hand + a moderate feed rate ..

only one way to find out.....hand held or saw table.....it does make a difference....
with a table saw the riving nife tends to run close to the blade......
also often the hole diameter could be diff between blades and the adaptor rings dont alway fit.....
I have a very old imp saw that now has a metric blade with a hand made (lathe) ad/ring....
watch out for the dust.....can u doit outside....?

went to buy a new blade for my small hand held Hitachi saw.....it has a special size....blast...
no cheapie blades for rough work.....

I would keep to the manufacturer’s recommended blade as this is what the saw is designed for . As for cutting mdf the higher the tooth count the finer the cut. As MDf is not solid wood most blades will give you a decent cut as long as you can maintain a steady hand + a moderate feed rate ..
I would agree. I use a 40T cheap blade and have never had a bad cut on MDF.

can I use a 190mm blade in a circular saw designed to fit 185mm blades?

I have a circular saw I am borrowing and want to change the blade, also what blade is recommended for the finest/smoothest cut for MDF? I was looking at 40 and 60 tpi blades, but one of them was 190mm and one 185mm.
You should only use the saw blade size as stated in your manual. If you use a blade that is the wrong size you could end up damaging your machine and suffer personal injury. If you are having difficulty getting the correct size try Saxton Blades they supply next day most sizes and different types so you can get the correct blade size, hole diameter and teeth for mdf. Would you put the wrong size tyres on your car, answer…………..

You should only use the saw blade size as stated in your manual. If you use a blade that is the wrong size you could end up damaging your machine and suffer personal injury. If you are having difficulty getting the correct size try Saxton Blades they supply next day most sizes and different types so you can get the correct blade size, hole diameter and teeth for mdf. Would you put the wrong size tyres on your car, answer…………..
People put bigger tyres on their cars because they go faster - not smart, but it's done.
If the arbour size and blade width is correct, and there is clearance on the guards - the difference in diameter is small so the peripheral speed will not be an issue.
But why not stick with the recommended diameter - going 5 mm larger is not going to help you much

With larger blade the "tip speed " will increase this will increase the strain on the machine/bearings etc. Also on any auto stop feature.
The right size blade is the right way to proceed.

If it was my saw, not borrowed, I would use the larger blade if it means you get a higher tooth count. Make sure it clears the metalwork all round. Remember things will flex/ move as you start cutting.
It's only 2.5mm on the radius, so it won't make any noticeable difference to cutting. It will probably be beneficial, because you are fitting a more appropriate blade for the work you are doing.
I must admit, I don't worry about tip speed and all that stuff, which is probably bad. I listen to the saw, you know when it's cutting well. Each saw has it's own song 😁 I change between a 10" and 12" blade on my table saw and it makes no noticeable difference to ripping, using good blades. If blade speed drops, you feed slower. Let the blade do the cutting
For MDF I would go for a quality blade with lots of teeth. I like Freud.

On a borrowed saw, I wouldn't change anything in case there is an unforeseen problem and you do damage.

People put bigger tyres on their cars because they go faster - not smart, but it's done.
If the arbour size and blade width is correct, and there is clearance on the guards - the difference in diameter is small so the peripheral speed will not be an issue.
But why not stick with the recommended diameter - going 5 mm larger is not going to help you much
Thanks for your comment however it is not nearly as simple as fitting larger tyres on your car to make it go faster, one would have to do a lot of modifications to the vehicle, bigger wheels arches, uplifted suspension, adjustusting or even refitting your steering rack, but thanks.
Regards

Back