Simple projects for an 8 year old.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ED65":2rd2a7bg said:
Potential there for a sharp shard or two after it's been hit against things a few times maybe.

Would the standard silver-grey colour of duct tape be metallic enough? If not then cheap acrylic craft paints often have a silver in the range. They won't add any durability but they dry very quickly on wood, easily allowing more than two coats even if you're rushed for time at the end.

Hmm good point, also means I might have to spend money :lol:
Mercedes silver spray paint it is. (it was free)

One of our club members was asked by his grand daughter to make a wooden sword for a school play. He made it all cartoonish and Sinbad looking and painted the blade silver. The teachers wouldn't let the girl use it. It resembled real and therefore prohibited in the school. Your politics are even worse with the happenings of late. You might want to think it over. As a contrast to now I had a real 6" hunting knife on my belt at 6 years old and nobody ever batted an eye.

Pete

how times change :roll:
when I was that age we made our own bows and arrows and were shooting them at each other in the local park. i even managed to get one to stick in the leg of my friend (ex friend) from 50 yards away. :shock:
Oh how we laughed :D :D :D :D

Inspector":1291z1in said:
One of our club members was asked by his grand daughter to make a wooden sword for a school play. He made it all cartoonish and Sinbad looking and painted the blade silver. The teachers wouldn't let the girl use it. It resembled real and therefore prohibited in the school. Your politics are even worse with the happenings of late. You might want to think it over. As a contrast to now I had a real 6" hunting knife on my belt at 6 years old and nobody ever batted an eye.

Pete

When I was eight I dressed up as a lumberjack for my school's annual summer fete. Checked shirt, braces, my grandfather's old Tyrolean hat, 7lb felling axe...
Was only 19 years ago, too.

My daughter's 8 and in her Brownies group they gave the kids a board and a bunch of nails which they hammered in (my girl did a heart, not sure if everyone else did) - they then used different colour string/wool to loop round between all the nails. It looked pretty cool and the wool made it look a bit different.

Have decided to go for a name sign.

I'll print a template with hole spacing. He can cut the wood to size, centre punch the holes and pilot drill them. We can plane a chamfer and then sand the wood with a little mouse sander, then bash in some galvanised roofing nails (nice big heads). Finally a coat of beeswax polish for an instant finish.

It combines a bit of power tool use and a bit of hand tool use but nothing too complex or scary for a first time.

Stanleymonkey":2zu5w82s said:
Sounds like a good plan - I like the power sander use.

Will you be posting some pictures of the finished work?

I'll try and remember.

Back