Simple Power Strop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I made this thing originally for stropping carving chisels but today decided it would do just as well for woodworking chisels and indeed it does.

I use the edge predominantly for carving chisels (hence the black rim) but the top is more suitable for woodworking chisels as one can keep a honing guide on the chisel as in the photo (it is not shown at the actual angle I use for sharpening/honing but to take the photo, I needed to tape the handle of the chisel to the lever of the drill press to stop the thing tipping backwards). In use one simply sharpens as usual, keeping the guide on all the time, then move to the top of the disk and just hone with the guide as you would use it to sharpen on a benchstone.

The disk is nothing more than a disk of MDF fixed on a simple arbor (mine was from an ancient B&D drill mounted grindstone). Plainly the disk could be made as large as you like - big enough to take any size of blade. I use a white (chromium) honing compound from Tilgear which seems to be the best of the various compounds ("soaps") that I have tried. I forget what I paid for it but it was rather cheap as I recall.

The edge I get doing it this way is superb.

DSC_2756.sized.jpg

Thanks for that: I've been dithering over an effective strop for some time, and that probably gets me my answer - neat idea... Oh, and in addition to the chisel gloat, that's a sickeningly 'quality' looking chuck there... :roll: (mine are probably the least cared for items in my shop - I claim they're my 'rust canaries'...)

Philly":umfr089x said:
Is that a keyless chuck?
That's not a gloat. I've got a keyless chuck. It just looks about a tenth of the quality of that one... =P~

Gotta say, Chris, you're a braver man* than I. No way have I got the nerve to put any of my L-Ns near any kind of powered abrasive system yet. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

* Yes, all right. Apart from for the obvious reason... :roll:

Yup it's a Borland precision keyless chuck. Actually makes a crummy drill press half respectable! Mind you it does cost about half as much as the drill press! Still, you see how it can hold a half mm drill! And it grips a 13mm drill shank very tightly with hardly any effort to tighten it. I have swung a 38 mm Forstner in it with no problems too.

Alf, this is actually a very gentle operation, despite appearances. I guarantee you will not spoil your chisels doing it and you will be surprised and delighted with the sharpness you achieve.

waterhead37":3l7saojg said:
Alf, this is actually a very gentle operation, despite appearances. I guarantee you will not spoil your chisels doing it and you will be surprised and delighted with the sharpness you achieve.
Oh I dare say, but they're just too new at the moment. I've only just got round to flattening my bench top :oops: simply 'cos it's only now got to the point where I'm treating it as a tool and not a precious (and expensive) jewel. :roll: What speed do you use?

Cheers, Alf

It's the second slowest speed on the machine and according to a little label inside the pulley cover it is 360 rpm. I use that speed for pretty nearly all the drilling I do, except when using very small bits.

As far as jewelry is concerned, I can promise you that your bevels will be shinier than ever before!

Nice one Chris

I will try it out tomorrow.

I would think that Solvol Autosol (available at nost car accessory places) should do a pretty good job - I often use it on the chisels on a flat piece of MDF to finish off after sharpening

Back