Simple garage construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry the photos have gone AWOL. I'll try again later! :(

Sorry if this is very long, but hopefully it could be useful for anyone considering building a shed, workshop, or garage.

I don’t normally photograph each stage of garage construction, but as the following was carried out at my mother-in-laws, I naturally took photographs as I went along. For one foolish moment, I also consided entering it into the competition, but can’t meet the 350 words, six photo brief! :D
At some stage, I shall add the methods used in the taking of levels and setting of datum points. I shall also add any info that I can think of, that may be of help to anyone that is considering building a workshop, shed or garage.

This garage is the maximum permitted size that can be constructed without any planning or building regs requirement (subject to conditions) When finished it shall measure 5986mm wide x 5495mm deep and have a ridge height of 3950mm, incorporate two full hip ends and a rear 'catslide' roof. It is going to be open fronted and constructed using an 'English Oak' main frame with softwood pressure treated rafters and bracing. The frame is to be finished in slate to match the existing property.

Note..I shall add a full guide to current building and planning regulations for garages and outbuildings at some stage.

The first job was to clear the site, which involved demolishing, and removing the old garage and clearing all the other debris and trees from site.

All work has been carried out by myself, with one of my nephews labouring for me as and when required.
The machine that I hired for the initial heavy clearance aspect of the project was an 8ton Hitachi. Scarily, in the one week that I hired the machine for, I used over £150.00p worth of red diesel! The dumper was a three ton swivel tip. The second and smaller machine that was used in the later stages was a 3 1/2 ton Kubota KX101.

The clearance and burning of old trees begins..

dscf5989cg0.jpg

dscf6459mc5.jpg

dscf6470qy5.jpg

dscf6493na5.jpg

The next stage after the tree removal was the much needed widening of the driveway. It is now wide enough to comfortably accommodate an 8 wheeler lorry.

dscf6700uu0.jpg

Delivery of a 20ton load of MOT type1

dscf6507we6.jpg

I managed to hit the mains water supply which isn’t a problem, but below that is the mains gas supply, which is now sitting 1200mm out of the ground. If I could have figured out how to lower this myself I would have. Sadly, I didn’t and we had to pay!

dscf6715fq1.jpg

Next stage was the removal of the old garage and sub standard base.

dscf6476my1.jpg

dscf6477lc5.jpg

The boss, ChloeJ, having a play on the dumper.

dscf6488ft6.jpg

TIP.. Loading the muck away lorries yourself saves on costs, as you only pay haulage and tipping. This aspect is worth considering if you are carrying out a similar project.

dscf6568dw6.jpg

Excavation begins.

Due to often unseen and unknown ground conditions, I very often just carry out raft foundations, but because one corner of the garage had previously had a large tree growing on it, I decided to just do a simple strip foundation. Thankfully the site is pretty much solid sandstone, so I just went 450mm on one side and 1000mm on the corner that had previously had the tree growing.

TIP.. (If you are considering carrying out your own building project and anticipate digging strip foundations, often information about digging depth can be found by consulting your local planning/ building control department. They will have records indicating soil conditions for your area and this can save you a lot of time and wasted expense.)
One example of wasted expense, was on a job that I carried out many years ago. I anticipated doing a raft foundation, but was advised to do 1000mm deep strip footings. The building inspector came and then proceeded to tell me that I had to go down to 3,600mm. It was a ridiculous depth, just to put four courses of brickwork on, and eventually they agreed to allow me to build a raft foundation using the 1000mm as a heel.

Back to this project, and once my levels had been set and the profiles erected, it was time to start the dig. I usually only mark the centre of dig when excavating, but I had plenty of time on my hands, so marked the full width.

TIP.. If you are getting an outside contractor to dig the footings for you, ask before starting, if they want to see the outside or centre of dig to be marked up. Also set your profile boards up, far enough away so as not to interfere with machine operation

TIP.. Plan where you want any services to run, prior to pouring the concrete.

dscf6698ne1.jpg

Concrete being poured.

dscf6702em2.jpg

Note rebar pins used for level. These can be placed in a vertical or horizontal position.

dscf6704sk9.jpg

The morning after pouring the concrete for the footings, I dug the oversite and off hired the machine.

dscf6712az8.jpg

After this, three courses of brickwork were laid. These are used as shuttering for the slab. Note that with a base of this size, there is no need to allow expansion joint around the edge.
I also had some terram laying around doing nothing, so just added as it can’t do any harm and also helps to spread load over soft spots (had there been any)

dscf6720tl9.jpg

After this, I spread 75mm of reject beach. I would normally then spread a thin layer of sand over this to prevent puncturing the layer of DPC, but as that wasn't an issue on this build, I left it out.

TIP.. Using reject beach saves time and money. It is cheaper than type1 or equivalent and does not need, or cannot be compacted, so saves the cost of hiring compaction equipment.

Note, lovely snow still on the ground!

dscf6768nh7.jpg

Next a layer of DPC polythene is laid, followed by A142 steel mesh that’s wired together and set at approx 50mm up.

Concrete and concrete reinforcement is a very involved subject, with various mixes to suite various applications and reinforcing to aid crack control and reinforcing for structural strength. The two applications are very different and just treading a sheet of steel mesh into wet concrete does nothing and is a complete waste of time and money. . Before I get pulled on it, I also haven't used saddles and benchmen for supporting the mesh, as the nearest place to me to buy them is some 18miles away!

TIP.. To prevent damp, the DPC polythene should be lapped up the sides of the internal shuttering and the joints thoroughly taped.

I have not lapped the polythene up the sides, as my use of it is purely to hold the water in the concrete that is to be poured, only long enough to make the tamping out easy, and not specifically to stop damp.

dscf6774jc4.jpg

The main slab was then finished with 150mm of C35 concrete, which was thickened at the front edge to 225mm. Because of the low temperature when the concrete was poured and the fact that the shuttering bricks were only laid three days previously, the mix was kept stiff and tamping was whilst carried out thoroughly, was also kept to a minimum.

The pour was just after the snow falls that we had.

TIP.. When ordering concrete, and assuming that you know roughly the quantity that is required, order it as your required quantity 'plus'. The term 'plus will ensure that you are not charged over and above for any further required concrete and the company will be legally obliged to do your 'plus' load by return and not just when they can fit it in because you have under ordered.

dscf6786kx7.jpg

dscf6790dk6.jpg

The concrete was then left thoroughly covered up for a week.

dscf6799nt9.jpg

TIP.. For anyone tackling any concrete work, the tool shown below is the dogs nuts for levelling out. It is an American designed rake, that is far easier than using a conventional rake or shovel.

dscf6796pr7.jpg

The brick bond that I used, is a variation of 'garden wall' bond. I tend to use this bond, as it is very strong and lends itself very well aesthetically to the style of buildings that I make. I also do not put a damp course into any of the four courses as it has proved to be a weak link, and leaves the potential for the frame and brickwork to slide.

dscf6804hs9.jpg

I shall expand upon the setting out and laying of brickwork in the near future, but shown below are some links that you may find useful, that show brickwork bonds and techniques for laying. It is a very subjective topic, so some may feel that certain aspects have been covered incorrectly.

http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngf...l&fc_work4.pdf

http://www.ibstock.com/pdfs/get-it-r...etitright4.pdf

http://www.ibstock.com/pdfs/technica...ged-bricks.pdf

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...sandblocks.htm

This is how the timber arrives at the sawmill where my workshop is located. It is sawn within stones through of my workshop, then...

dscf4878xt8.jpg

This is how I receive the timber that has been sawn to the rough section size.
dscf6644hu4.jpg

Knee braces, marked and ready to be cut out, and some of the frame already in the back of my van.

dscf6809oc0.jpg

The start of laying the materials out.

dscf6811gb0.jpg

The start of frame erection. It’s very annoying that when carrying out your own work, nothing seems to go right!

dscf6812mc0.jpg

dscf6822eu2.jpg

dscf6827dm9.jpg

The progress continues. I generally ply line the outside of frames prior to fitting weather boarding. To me, it always looks nice, and certainly helps in respect of frame rigidity.

180408hs6.jpg

Front frame details.
Note that I no longer tend cut the tie beam tennons all the way through.

postdetailxv7.jpg

dscf6853qn9.jpg

And this is the finished article.

dscf7026pt7.jpg

dscf7036gr0.jpg

dscf7039ka8.jpg

BradNaylor":1w5a0b8e said:
Fantastic stuff.

Your job looks like FUN!! Bet it keeps you fit, too.

What's to stop someone boarding up the front and using it as a workshop?

Or a house?

:lol:

Cheers
Brad

I really enjoy my work, but sadly all of the joints in my body don't tend agree, I'm really suffering these days! :cry:

As for the boarding out etc.. I'll save that for future threads! :D

Ah... That's another project!

As another point of interest, when cutting the trees down, I found the foloowing WW2 trip wire detonator :D

I just about missed it with the chainsaw! :shock:

(sorry about picture size)

dscf6515px3.jpg

twonk1.jpg

Thanks Paul. :D

Being a woodwork forum, I wasn't sure about whether the groundwork aspect of the project would be appreciated or not. I'll try and edit and add further info about the woodwork side of it either tonight or tomorrow. :)

That is a great demonstration of a complete job. Well done there.

I think it is good to see a lot of the ground works and preparation for this type of work as it is more then just woodwork.
Some of my fitted furniture includes a lot general building work before I can even start making or fitting the piece and often it isn't noticed in the 'after' photos.

Thanks for posting up such a great set of pictures! And a fantastic end result, I reallylike the solid beam work. :wink:

Excellent work. So, if it's not a workshop then, what are you using if for? :wink:

Are those softwood rafters on an oak frame??? :shock: Well, I suppose you had to keep the costs down somewhere... :D

Looks great. How is the drive finished / transitioned to the base, looks like you'd need a Land Rover to get in it at the moment.

Would it be rude to ask for a breakdown of the costs?

Fantastic Pictorial. I'm not surprised your bones are aching. It makes me want to lie down just looking at the pics!

That's the thing that'd make it very expensive for me. Getting all that ground work outsourced doesn't look cheap.

Thanks again for the positive replies :)

PeterBassett":363von3b said:
Is this the same Eddie as on The Rev Counter?

Amazing work as ever!

Never heard of him!!! :wink: :D

PaulO, that was an oversight of me not to list the costs. I'll ad them at some point later on. As for the transition, it just has road stone leading up to it at the moment, but I hope at some stage to do the same brick paving as I carried out on the one that's shown below.

dscf6625op6.jpg

That was really interesting and beautiful.

The fact you make it look so simple demonstrates it just cannot be.

Well done.

Do you intend enclosing it with doors or is that part of the planning arrangement?

Mick

Eddie,

nice stuff here, and a pleasure to see.

This sort of thing is my standard fare as an architect, and so I have PM'd you as well. I've also built a number of oak framed cart-lodges myself, as well as a semi-framed oak house.

As you are handing out tips.......I hope you don't mind if I return the favour :wink: :wink: !

Your plinths........there is hardly any brickwork I have ever seen that isn't improved by using a white mortar rather than grey. I almost exclusively specify lime, but you could equally well use white cement. Try it!! It looks sooooooo much better!

With your first cartlodge, (slate roof) it is obviously important to keep the roof slope in one plane, but the second, (plain tiles) it would be great to just kick up the bottom few courses with sprockets. It really helps the overall shape of the roof, and you avoid seeing the disappointing SW rafter feet.

In East Anglia where I live, the vernacular is for gabled buildings, not hipped.....although you do see the odd granny (half)-hipped outbuilding.

You missed out a critical photo in the building sequence, which was the completed plinth ready for the oak frame..........I was wanting to see what connection method you use for holding the frame onto the plinth. Actually, it is really only the middle post that is of interest, because retaining its lower end to prevent twisting is one of the keys to the success of these projects.......I have 3 standard ways..........what do you do?

It seems to my eye that you are using 45 degree pitches? Is that right? Again, traditionally they would probably have been about 47.5 degrees.....(actually, 13" rise in 12"), and it does make a noticeable difference to the overall look.

Finally, I am interested in the bare-boards look to the cladding. Is this pre-finish? Is that standard stuff where you live? Everything around here has always been black.......

Anyway, none of that is criticism of some first-rate work. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it on here.

Regards

Mike

Amazing work Eddie!

here is my Pathetic attempt

shed.jpg

i built most of it single handedly while my dad was recovering from a operation.

John

Thanks for posting that up John, its in no way pathetic. Pathetic is not giving it a go in the first place! That doen't look the easiest of sites, and it looks as though you have done well to get it to fit in.

Mike, thanks for your input, and I certainly didn't take anything that you have said as criticism.

Interestingly, I did used to use a lime/building sand/sharp washed sand mixes for my work, but for some reason I stopped. Weird really, as I have no idea why! :? I'll have to get back into it again.

As for the rafter details, I can pull myself on that one, as I kick myself for not using oak rafters on external/exposed aspects. Part of te problem is that many of these projects are what you might term bread and butter money and in my area it is just so competitive that aspects that I would love to carry out, add money to projects that can ill afford it. Sadly, I'm also now having to compete with oak facades with everything else constructed from homegrown softwood. I'm also one of the few in my to use oak studs with mortice and tennon joints. The norm is softwood, side spiked! :(

At the moment, I'm working on an extension to a listed property, where exactly as you have said sprockets on the rafter feet are to be used, and refreshingly, full traditional joints are also being used, instead of the compromise cost issue stainless bolts.

In respect of frame fixing, I shall have to hunt out a photo of that detail. My preference is for stainless studding to be anchored into the concrete prior to commencement of brickwork. In the case of the frame shown, I drilled and chemical anchored the stainless pins.

The frames shown, are a modular based system that's designed to skirt around current planning regulations (or at least for Wealden and West Sussex) With this in mind, they push it right to the limit but still remain below 4,000mm to the ridge 'cough' :wink: This is also the reason for incorporating a rear catslide (I'll add to this aspect in the next day or so.

The plain cladding is something that I have sawn out for me. The boards are 200mm x 32mm ex and have a clear treatment added. The colour may be slightly deceiving on the ones shown, as I also treated them with a wood sealer. Sadly the local planning authority here, like to see the the oak and weather board painted black! You pay all that money, just to have it ruined! :cry:
Incidentally, in the case of the slate frame, and gazebo, the wood has had three coats of Danish oil. It seems to make a massive in slowing down the inherent cracks etc.

I've probably left something out, will return your PM tomorrow.

Thanks, Eddie.

Latest posts

Back