Simple can be beautiful

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graigmerched

Established Member
Reaction score
This simple shallow curved bowl was turned across the axis of a piece of spalted silver birch. (Imagine a propellor on the lathe and you got the idea) It broke off, splintered and generally misbehaved whilst it was being turned but eventually it turned out to be quite beautiful. It was finished with wax and buffed to a polish. Its length is approximately 7 inches. I find it is a good way of using up branch wood which can't be used for anything else and would otherwise be thrown away. If you want to try it please be careful as turning a "propellor" can be dangerous. The thing to most avoid is leaning forward as you turn because you can't see 90% of it.

Attachments

• Simple platter.JPG
    Simple platter.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 678
Graigmerched":38iv2f59 said:
This simple shallow curved bowl was turned across the axis of a piece of spalted silver birch. (Imagine a propellor on the lathe and you got the idea) It broke off, splintered and generally misbehaved whilst it was being turned but eventually it turned out to be quite beautiful. It was finished with wax and buffed to a polish. Its length is approximately 7 inches. I find it is a good way of using up branch wood which can't be used for anything else and would otherwise be thrown away. If you want to try it please be careful as turning a "propellor" can be dangerous. The thing to most avoid is leaning forward as you turn because you can't see 90% of it.

That's lovely wood. I can't quite picture the piece before you turned it, what was the diameter of the wood? Could you take a picture at a different angle?

Regards

12345Peter":3quny9h7 said:
Graigmerched":3quny9h7 said:

That's lovely wood. I can't quite picture the piece before you turned it, what was the diameter of the wood? Could you take a picture at a different angle?

Regards

I can't take another picture as I sold the piece. I will do another one and take a picture on the lathe before I start work on it. The diameter is the width across the piece, about 4 inches.

Best Regards

Steve

Graigmerched":1938d1sc said:
I can't take another picture as I sold the piece. I will do another one and take a picture on the lathe before I start work on it. The diameter is the width across the piece, about 4 inches.
Best Regards
Steve

Thanks Steve, that will be great, can I be cheeky and ask you to take a picture of it sitting on a surface when it is finished so that I can slightly see the bottom and most of the top, if you understand what I mean :?

Regards
Peter

12345Peter":inpc96ni said:
Graigmerched":inpc96ni said:
Best Regards
Steve

Thanks Steve, that will be great, can I be cheeky and ask you to take a picture of it sitting on a surface when it is finished so that I can slightly see the bottom and most of the top, if you understand what I mean :?

Regards
Peter

No problem Peter. It might be a few weeks as I'm busy preparing for the UK acoustic festival at the and of the month where I've got a stand.

Regards

Steve

Graigmerched":q4z0re17 said:
No problem Peter. It might be a few weeks as I'm busy preparing for the UK acoustic festival at the and of the month where I've got a stand.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards
Peter

Back