Simple box-making question....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
Just a simple question - I've started having a go at making some boxes (a small elm and ?mahog box and a purpleheart and laburnum bigger box). These are my first attempt at boxes, so consist of 4 sides, a lid and a base rebated into a plough-planed slot (loving the Veritas plough plane, but not when cutting against the grain on purpleheart, nosirree).
The corners have been simple mitred (and after a little advice here and construction of 45 deg jig for shooting board, not *too* onerous) and I understand that inserting a spline from the outside corner is a good way of enhancing the strength of an otherwise not-very-strong joint.
So to my question - is it better/easier/normal to glue up the mitres then cut the spline slot, or cut the spline slot first, then glue all up together?

Cheers,
Adam

p.s. will post piccies for comments when finished :)

Hi Adam
I glue mine up first then cut the slot for the spline. I found a japanese saw too narrow a kerf so use a gents saw and cut the stock on my bandsaw.

You can use veneer if available. The glue will expand the stock to fit the slot so make it a snug fit, but not too tight.

Photos!

Many thanks folks - the consensus certainly seems to be glue then cut. I shall indeed follow this advice :)
The lid bit and base bit are currently sitting with their first coat of hard wax oil, and will do another 2-3 maybe before glueing up the box.
I shall indeed post photo's when completed, but if they happen to be blurry, it's just to hide the workmanship!

Cheers.
Adam

Use use my T/S and use a simple jig - cut after gluing:

box2je9.jpg

Rod

Splines are the way to go and cut after glue. However IMO they start to look wrong on very small boxes, in this situation I Glue the mitre with epoxy .

Latest posts

Back