Silver pigmented finishes for external oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
Like many on here, I like to see the naturally weathered silver finish on external oak, but have to admit it requires a good degree of patience, at least a couple of years if facing south, or sometimes more than a lifetime on a north face that never gets to see the sun. Have to concede too that without a surface coating to slow down the passage of water, there is a greater chance of unwanted movement as is shrinks and swells through the seasons, which can be a problem with doors and windows.

I was wondering if a silver pigmented wood stain, while potentially giving a much quicker aged appearance, would also look better than the contrasting colours do as they start to erode with time ? Maybe refinishing would then be easier too with transparent coatings, as the tint being applied is then much the same as the weathered wood below.

If anyone has good or bad experience with this sort of external finish on oak windows or doors, I would much appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks Neil, those look reasonably subtle shades, which is just what I was after. I will order some samples and see what they look like in real life.

Back