Silver Birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year I had to cut back a Silver Birch tree and I still have some of the larger logs left. I have never heard of Birch being used in woodworking except for plywood, can anyone tell me about the properties of this wood and it's uses?

As far as I know it's one of those 'nothing special' woods which gets used for interior parts such as drawer sides where its plainness doesn't matter. Worm can be a problem too.

But if you've got it, and can cut it up, try it!

Thanks all for the replies, especially Foxhunter for that link. I've been cutting a few logs into manageable sized chunks to cut on my bandsaw, there is some attractive spalting pattern in the grain and it looks quite attractive.

twothumbs":2f5scqju said:
I think the Scandinavians use it for almost everything.

Yes, yes we do :D

I think it has an unjust reputation for beeing bland. Some of the absolutely most beautiful things made of wood i have seen have been made of birch. Admittedly, we have more of it than most so chances of getting good wood is probably better, but even still.
I have some slightly spalted flame birch in drying at the moment, which is absolutely fantastic.
It's uses would be more or less the same as maple and/or beech, i'd say. Bland bits good for drawer sides and the likes, rest is a fantastic hardwood for use in furniture as any other wood. In my experience it does have a tendency to become harder to work if kiln dried, but it lends itself willingly to air drying, so not a big obstacle i think.

Spalted it can be absolutely stunning!

Henning":32h4lhjm said:
twothumbs":32h4lhjm said:
I think the Scandinavians use it for almost everything.

Yes, yes we do :D

I think it has an unjust reputation for beeing bland. Some of the absolutely most beautiful things made of wood i have seen have been made of birch. Admittedly, we have more of it than most so chances of getting good wood is probably better, but even still.
I have some slightly spalted flame birch in drying at the moment, which is absolutely fantastic.
It's uses would be more or less the same as maple and/or beech, i'd say. Bland bits good for drawer sides and the likes, rest is a fantastic hardwood for use in furniture as any other wood. In my experience it does have a tendency to become harder to work if kiln dried, but it lends itself willingly to air drying, so not a big obstacle i think.

Spalted it can be absolutely stunning!

Just what I wanted to hear, thank you Henning!

Henning ....Your English is bettter than ours. There was much Birch wood used in Architecture in the 40's and 50,s and of course the various laminated chair designs which are still classics to this day.
Best wishes

..and it is of course the perfect choice for making headmasters canes...so if people don't like what you produce, you can turn it down thin and give them a good 'birching'.

As Henning said, we have a lot of it here, and it's certainly the most common hardwood used in locally produced furniture.
These are all birch (with some cherry).

skrinn1.jpg

tray1.jpg

brett.jpg

Mark

Back