Silver Birch bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Turned Silver Birch bowl with natural 'covid' pattern ! 20cm x 13cm
Silver-Birch.jpg

Hi Adam, looks like a good bowl. I have just managed to get 2 pieces of silver birch, it was supposed to be one piece 1.5 metres long but by the time I got there they had already cut it up. Would you recommend turning or should I see if I can carve it?.

Hi Adam, looks like a good bowl. I have just managed to get 2 pieces of silver birch, it was supposed to be one piece 1.5 metres long but by the time I got there they had already cut it up. Would you recommend turning or should I see if I can carve it?.
I've turned a lot of silver birch, my experience so far is that it's a nice wood to turn as well side grain bowl, if you are turning an end grain bowl then shaping the outside is a dream but hollowing the end grain can be a chore, either way if its dry wood it will create huge amounts of dust, haven't tried carving it but as long as the tool is sharp it should be a nice wood to work with.

Thats beautiful dude, none of my birch has such a difference between the heart and outer wood 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Thanks Stig, i have to agree with you, the figure of this particular piece is lovely, the log itself had been lying in a wet marshy bit of land for quite a long time and because of the amount of fungus it was covered with i knew the inside would be interesting, it never made it as far as our wood burner.......

I love turning Silver Birch, but it can seem a little fibrous if your tools are not razor sharp, i've not yet tried carving Birch.... also the sweet smell of the wood is delicious......

Back