silly person question of the day....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pleased to announce that they were delivered today and I immediately put them on trial. The batteries come with 4 power output settings. On the highest setting the claim is that they will last for 3-3.5 hours. On the next setting, 4-5 hours. Next 6-8 hours and on the lowest setting, 15-18 hours. I've just run the batteries down having been wearing the socks for 7 hours on the 2nd lowest setting, so the claim is about right. For the first 3 hours I was in my work boots in the workshop with the log stove going. Normally in this situation I would come back indoors feeling generally warm but with cold feet. This evening I am looking forward to going to bed with warm feet - a luxury I haven't experienced in winter months for a good few years.
Whatever the Amp.Hour rating is the socks HAVE kept my feet, not just my toes. for many hours.
Brian
Ah! The mist rises. I didn't get that you were talking about heated socks. 🥴 Glad you've found a way to keep your feet warm. 🙂🙂🙂

I was told some years ago on an Outward Bound course that you lose 10% of your body heat through your head, never seen any scientific proof but you do feel a lot warmer when wearing a hat .....................(if you wore a Bowler you can keep your sandwiches inside :) )

My difficulty in the workshop (unheated garage) is cold fingers when the temperature drops. I cannot find any thermal gloves which allow me to work satisfactorily (too bulky) -- would like to be able to pick up screws and use battery drill etc. Any suggestions?
Reading previous posts has anyone tried tried heated gloves?

My difficulty in the workshop (unheated garage) is cold fingers when the temperature drops. I cannot find any thermal gloves which allow me to work satisfactorily (too bulky)
I have been told I have Raynaud's syndrome, which affects blood flow in my fingers and toes, so it's a real problem keeping them warm in winter. I find if I keep my body core really warm, I don't suffer frozen fingers and toes so badly. I wear lots of layers of clothing. I wear thermals at this time of year, body warmers, neck warmer, hat. It all helps. Eating well has a surprising effect. as soon as I get hungry, I start getting cold. I don't wear gloves in the workshop, too dangerous around machinery. In the garden, I wear thermal lined waterproof rubber gloves. They are great.
When cycling, I use three pairs of socks, insulated cycling shoes, insulated overshoes and foot-warmers which last up to 8 hours.

Might be of less use to woodworkers but a retired engineer friend always stood on duck boards to keep his feet up off the cold workshop floor, said it was also the norm at work. I imagine good if doing lathe work.
Today Ive been wearing my new woollen “Beanie Hat” they are I think US army pattern wooly hats with a small peak and can be rolled down over your ears if its really cold, my one is also Thinsulate lined and Im very pleased indeed with it for around £6 or £7 from ebay inc P&P, its snug enough not to blow off and the peak whilst not big does help keep the sun out of your eyes.
Steve

I have a concrete floor in my workshop. I have a carpeted wooden frame I stand on when using my lathe. I think it helps.

I was told some years ago on an Outward Bound course that you lose 10% of your body heat through your head, never seen any scientific proof but you do feel a lot warmer when wearing a hat .....................(if you wore a Bowler you can keep your sandwiches inside :) )
Wear a top-hat & you can keep a flask there as well!

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. A lot of helpful suggestions to try - I have ordered a woollen inner glove to start.
Strangely my feet are never affected even without extra protection.
Sandyn, I have also noticed a hot meal helps considerably.

Latest posts

Back