Silk purse from a sow's ear? Any advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very nice restoration to a level that look right for using rather than sitting on a shelf and being for looking. Well done

Thats as near to a silk purse as could be done. Great restoration.
There is however one thing you have not done. It is a serious breach of forum law to do up a plane and not post pics of it making shavings:)
Regards
John

Can i ask how you cleaned up the lever cap? That's the one thing i generally leave alone. Thanks

I removed all corrosion etc as usual. Then flaking parts of the metal electroplating removed using fine grade wet/dry. WD40 degreaser, followed by two coats of hammerite smooth silver. Purists may be horrified by this, but this plane is never going to be a museum piece. The paint reduces corrosion as well as being nicer to look at than ugly blotches. For the logo backing, I used Humbrol gloss enamel in the closest shade I could find to the original.

When I get around to it I will "up my game" and teach myself electroplating.

Filing the cam on the lever to a usable shape was probably the hardest part to get right.

I used to get a slap from my woodwork teacher if I put a plane down on its sole. 😱

Back