Silicone Sealant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan A

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a bewildering variety of silicone sealants available, all of them apparently wonderful - so what should I use to seal a shower tray?

Obviously I need an anti-mould sanitary sealant, but is there any real difference in performance between the £2 basic ranges such as Screwfix No Nonsense and the £6 branded or "premier" types?

Some of the £6 and up types guarantee no mould for 10 years but that is clearly an impossible claim without some qualification.

So what is the reality? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Duncan

I stick with Dow Corning these days, around £4 a tube with the vat. Not really worth bothering with the cheaper brands as I know the Dow is top quality & a couple of quid saving isn't worth the aggro should the cheaper silicone fail.

Hi, my experience is that the more expensive ones tend to be better and for essential jobs like sealing a shower I would spend the extra. Not saying that there aren't any cheap ones that will do the job but peeling at the edges and mould are the main issues. I use Unibond one and have had good long lasting results. As always good prep is essential with a clean application. Not too difficult on new stuff but existing needs all the scale and soap scum removing. I use a mild solvent to do this. Wet wipes are another essential aid to silicon!
Would be interested to know what others have experience with the cheaper brands (Screwfix own for example).
HTH
Matt

Thanks gents,

It seems that my 4 year old No-Nonsense may not be the best stuff to use!
I'll be off to Toolstation right away for some of the better stuff.

Duncan

I agree, this is one time cheap isn't worth it IMO. Get some low modulus type from a decent brand and you will be fine.

I have used various over the years that have gone mouldy over time as said dont use the cheap stuff. the one I have been using recentl is ever build forever white with microban.
Alan

CT1 is the best, had it in my shower now for 10 years and no mould, harder to apply than some but excellent sealing, can be applied to wet surfaces

Doug B":32fzwixi said:
I stick with Dow Corning these days, around £4 a tube with the vat. Not really worth bothering with the cheaper brands as I know the Dow is top quality & a couple of quid saving isn't worth the aggro should the cheaper silicone fail.
+1

Regards Keith

Toolstation didn't have any Dow Corning so I bought some Everbuild stuff with a 10 year guarantee against mould. I don't suppose anyone would ever claim, but it should indicate a good product. I'll let you know in a few year's time!

Thanks again to everyone for the comments; a unanimous vote in favour of quality from a bunch of "careful with money" woodworkers made for an easy decision.

Duncan

Latest posts

Back