silicon eater

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only tried it once and didn't think much of it, think its was a scrwfix no-nonsence, better off with a sharp chisel and some meths

Jason

My local supplier reckons it's a complete waste of time, and he sells it!

Roy.

Do I take it you want to remove silicone? :)
Remove as much as possible mechanically first, only then try the Screwfix stuff. That way you do stand a chance of a reasonable result. Using just the Eater takes forever and you need gallons of the stuff.
S

It does work for me Roger but it won't remove great lumps of silicone. I use it occasionally and last used just a few weeks ago when I fitted a different sized shower cubicle and handbasin for a customer which left 8 year old silicone all over the place.

The old silicone was on tiled walls and in this case you have to remove as much as possible with a blade leaving just the residue which is very difficult to get off. I use the toolstation stuff and it sometimes needs more than one application but when softened it comes off with a green "scourer" pad.

cheers

Bob

Thanks chaps. I'd sussed out the need to remove as much as possible. I bought some today and tried it out.

As a result I offer Unibond Silicone Sealant Remover as the turkey. Effectiveness inversely proportional to it's cost. An extortionate £8.99 and it was about as useful as an Australian cricketer.

I've resurrected this thread as I need to remove a fair bit.

So just wondering if the panel's view had changed over the last two years and that there was the Acme Silicon Eater Extraordinaire available.

RogerS":2lnmojzk said:
I've resurrected this thread as I need to remove a fair bit.

So just wondering if the panel's view had changed over the last two years and that there was the Acme Silicon Eater Extraordinaire available.

Last time I tried some was about a year ago, it doesn't actually appear to remove silicone, but it does remove money from your pocket. :(

I've never tried it, but I have had some success removing silicone residue with turpentine and a scourer, although it's a messy business and the smell takes ages to fade. It's weird, though, it kind of makes it swell up.

Back