Silent Power Thin Line Blade Loose on Hammer Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skala

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm new here and am hoping I might get some feedback about the new thin line blade I bought from Felder which is loose when fitted on my Hammer circular saw. I'm pretty sure that the recess in the back of the clamping flange is bottoming on the saw spindle, leaving enough space for the saw blade to wobble a little. The explanation I have been given by Felder UK so far is that the flange must be worn. I don't understand how that would happen, it's not a moving part. The machine is 13 years old. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's had similar experiences.. Thanks, Sarah

I have neither this blade nor saw, but the description sounds like it’s a specially narrow blade? What is the saw width it’s designed for?

Aidan

I have neither this blade nor saw, but the description sounds like it’s a specially narrow blade? What is the saw width it’s designed for?

Aidan
Hi Aidan, yes it rips with just a 2mm cut and the blade is only 1.6mm thick. It is designed to work with Hammer and Felder machines.

Sounds like a job for a well-made washer (and a new riving knife). I had a CMT blade like that once

Aidan

The standard Hammer/Felder riving knife is 2.4 or 2.8mm so if your new saw blade is only 1.6mm thick you need an new riving knife to match it

Have you checked there’s no dust on the female part in the spindle? Could be stopping the bolt going that little bit deeper

Sounds like a D'oh!!! moment for Felder, the blade people aren't talking to the saw people. I would go back to Hammer and ask what the minimum blade thickness for your saw is. If it is suitable for a 1.6mm blade, then something doesn't add up. In the meantime a big washer. I don't know the design of the Hammer spindle/flange, but if it's a bolt bottoming, you could look at grinding a mm or so off the end.

Sounds like a D'oh!!! moment for Felder, the blade people aren't talking to the saw people. I would go back to Hammer and ask what the minimum blade thickness for your saw is. If it is suitable for a 1.6mm blade, then something doesn't add up. In the meantime a big washer. I don't know the design of the Hammer spindle/flange, but if it's a bolt bottoming, you could look at grinding a mm or so off the end.

Thanks. I have written to HO in Austria and also Felder France where I bought the blade. I know it's not the bolt bottoming. A washer would work but it's not really the point, they sell the blade as compatible for their machines. Will post here if I get anywhere in case anyone else comes across a similar issue.

Have you checked there’s no dust on the female part in the spindle? Could be stopping the bolt going that little bit deeper
Thanks, I have checked every which way. I know it's not the bolt bottoming. A washer would work but it's not really the point, they sell the blade as compatible for their machines. Will post here if I get anywhere in case anyone else comes across a similar issue.

The standard Hammer/Felder riving knife is 2.4 or 2.8mm so if your new saw blade is only 1.6mm thick you need an new riving knife to match it
Thanks. But first I need to know the blade can be secured properly! Am in contact with Felder and will post again if I have any news.

Back