Silent Compressor is very silent...Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
Clarke Shhh2/9.......Not used this for a few months now, since I posted about a problem which I didn't sort out then!!
When switched on it just hisses air out of small dia hole in a brass tube (see photo)
the oil level is ok, so whats the answer?

Thanks for any help!

Gerry

Attachments

• SV100109 (600 x 450).jpg
    SV100109 (600 x 450).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 232
  • SV100108 (450 x 600).jpg
    SV100108 (450 x 600).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 232
  • SV100110 (600 x 450).jpg
    SV100110 (600 x 450).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 232
lastminute":126hrzhh said:
Clarke Shhh2/9.......Not used this for a few months now, since I posted about a problem which I didn't sort out then!!
When switched on it just hisses air out of small dia hole in a brass tube (see photo)
the oil level is ok, so whats the answer?

Thanks for any help!

Gerry

Just get that brass fitting changed. It's a kinda of a non return valve I think. Had the same problem and I changed that and it was perfect.
My compressor was subsequently stolen a few months later.
The sprouts....May they die screaming.

That valve is a pressure release valve which when the tank gets up to pressure the pressure switch opens stopping the motor running.
This valve then opens to reduce to zero the pressure on the pump so when the pump restarts it can start unloaded by pressure thus starting easily
they get bits of grit/ fluff/genral rubbish in them stopping them closing so the pump isnt able to fill the tank
strip down and clean

Ian

cambournepete":1a6c8q6o said:
Isn't that the pressure release valve?
In which case you should be able to tighten it up

I would not advise that on any non functioning pressure release valve unless you are very sure of it's function.

Fixed Working Pressure regulating valves can on occasion be adjusted safely to suit work needs but you should never ever tighten down or modify a Safety Release valve, at least not without the means of testing it's working pressure setting off the device it is protecting.

As this would appear to be a compressor load relief device I would go along with the strip and clean and reset any spring pressure to original setting as advised by flh801978 in the first instance if possible.

Not sure if I should touch the brass tube...its hardly been used...I can't understand why it should be at fault!!
What will happen if I just switch it on and let it run for a while...will it stop hissing eventually?

lastminute":1zmzma0e said:
Not sure if I should touch the brass tube...its hardly been used...I can't understand why it should be at fault!!
What will happen if I just switch it on and let it run for a while...will it stop hissing eventually?
A safety (relief) valve is fitted purely to prevent the receiver from exceeding the
maximum working pressure and is therefore necessary to protect your life and your property.

1- Because the safety valve may be the only device remaining to protect you from a potentially dangerous situation, it is important that the relief valve is in prime condition.
2- Only qualified people should be allowed to adjust/alter the safety aspect of your air compressor.
3- Safety valves are usually set about 10% above the safe working pressure but this can vary slightly.
4- Do not expose safety valves to freezing temperatures if there is a possibility that the safety valve  can come into contact with moisture. Under those circumstances it may freeze solid.
5- A relief valve must be capable of discharging all the air produced by your compressor i.e. if the compressor produces 20 cubic feet per minute (approx. 550 litres per second) at 10 bar then the safety (relief) valve should be capable of exhausting that amount + 10% to atmosphere.

(It is common for the relief valve to be set approx. 10% above the working pressure of the system).

Safety valves are installed in case of the following:

1-    Exposure to heat from a fatory/workshop fire (Heat can increase the pressure up to one hundred
   times the safe working pressure).
2-    Dirt or dust gathering on the cooling apparatus and slowly creating a build-up to mechanical failure over a period of time.
3-    Failure of the cut-out pressure switch.
4-    Interference of your electrical system by untrained personnel.
5-    A slow broadening of pressure \\\\\\\'differential\\\\\\\' cut-out sequence due to wear on the pressure switch.

lastminute":1xfbslm0 said:
Thanks Teckel....still no wiser!! 8-(

If you can't service the cut-off/pump load reducing valve then get and fit a replacement.
Removing it might show an obvious cause as to why it is not sealing when the pump starts.

Back