signs/letters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks does anyone use a saw to cut out letters or make door signs etc. Is this possible with a scroll saw ?

Hi. A lot of the things I make involve letters and numbers that I cut from a variety of materials, mainly 3/4 hardwood and up to 9mm birch plywood. I make door signs and children's names and really the only way to make these is with a scroll saw. If you don't have a scroll saw yet then be very careful what one you buy. Firstly don't buy one that takes pinned blades as a lot of the worked is what we call pierced work where you have cuts inside of the workpiece and the blade has to be threaded through a hole and with some patterns this cannot be done with a pinned blade. Also with pinned blades you are very limited in choice. Secondly get a saw with variable speed and if you can afford it get either a Hegner or an Excalibur scroll saw, failing that you have a vast choice of machines from the far east. Hope this helps.

Geoff

One bodge I have invented is to take the pin out of the top of the blade, that way I can easily attach the blade at the bottom to the saw and the top of the blade is thin enough to push through a drilled hole and can be clamped in the top of the saw.

I find it a right fiddle to clamp the bottom of pinless blades in my saw.

Back