Side rail hinges - different sizes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorton

Established Member
Reaction score
I been using el cheepo Screwfix hinges on the few boxes I have made, decided to up my game a bit and go for some side rail hinges.

I ordered a pair of prokraft:

https://www.prokraft.co.uk/premium-solid-brass-side-rail-hinges.html
Are these ok for a box that 300mm wide x 200mm deep x 125mm tall - lid is cut from this at 30mm.

Looking at other types of these hinges which are a lot more expensive, they seem to do larger ones - hoping that these will be OK for the size of box.

The sides are 12mm thickness.

Also noticed they do a cheaper gold plated standard side rail hinge

https://www.prokraft.co.uk/standard-side-rail-hinges-pair-in-gold-plating.html
which are £5 a set which may be a good middle ground if I make a few of these boxes - anyone used the cheaper ones?

I’d be very interested in how you find them, I thought of buying some for a trial but just looking at the picture they aren’t the quality of the much more expensive ones.

The likes of neat hinges etc will be fine on a box that size

Personally I think those premium one's look so much neater than the budget ones.
I think the budget ones look cheap and will spoil/cheapen the look of your box.

The premium brass hinges certainly look well finished and should be fine for any small box. In general box hinges are pretty expensive. A set will set you back £33.50 from Andrew Crawford or £25 from Ian Hawthorne in brass. Another alternative is Rockler in the US who sell a very good gold plated hinge for $29.95.
Getting a quality lock to match the hinges is also a problem. You would want to be producing very good quality boxes to justify spending £60 - 70 on hinges and a lock.
Fitting them is another matter. Have a look at the 'Jig It' from Rockler.

Last edited:
I have used the Pro craft premium and the Brusso hinges. No doubt that the Brusso are the better product but they are over twice the price, The Procraft are very good and service was excellent. I had 1 hinge in a batch that didnt stop at the correct angle. Replacement sent out and arrived teh next day. I notice on teh Ian Hawthorne hinges that there are only 2 knuckles so it is only held together by the pin whereas the Andrew Crawford and Brusso hinges have 3 knuckles making a much better mechanical joint but cant comment on either in use

How wide are those premium hinges ? The site says ' 30 x 6 mm approx ' which would make them a bit skinny aesthetically .The industry standard is 8 mm wide and the Rockler ' Jig It' is set up for that.

Seems the ones that are not rounded at the end are 6mm wide and the ones that are squared at the end are 8mm wide

Bought a pair of the £15 brass ones with the rounded end, 6mm in width, and also bought the £5 pair to compare

the £5 pair are not worth £5, looks like plastic gold stuck to them, very shiny.
the £15 set are nice and will be fine for me, expensive for what they are, but all these hinge types seem to be.

Back