Siberian Larch offcuts. Keep or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got 30-40 offcuts of Siberian Larch cladding from my shed build. Roughly 320 x145mm

Having a tidy up and need to decide whether to chuck them or not.

Thought I could make bird boxes and offer them to neighbours.

Any other suggestions?
C63BEE0C-8069-4EA4-849D-80A160D443D4.jpeg
BE0C42B0-DB70-4964-BF96-44549BDC4007.jpeg

Bird/Bat boxes(y). Or Laminate them together with contrasting wood layers for turning or band saw boxes etc, mind you the temp in my shop is dropping fast so kindling for the wood burner would be my choice ;);)

Bird/Bat boxes(y). Or Laminate them together with contrasting wood layers for turning or band saw boxes etc, mind you the temp in my shop is dropping fast so kindling for the wood burner would be my choice ;);)
I’ve also quite a stack of larch offcuts from a workshop build and had wondered about using some as kindling. My only concern was that as larch is quite a resinous wood, is it wise to use it in a woodburner - increased risk of chimney fire?

I’ve also quite a stack of larch offcuts from a workshop build and had wondered about using some as kindling. My only concern was that as larch is quite a resinous wood, is it wise to use it in a woodburner - increased risk of chimney fire?
Yes, I'd read that and it won't be going in my woodburner.

If it is dry you should have no problems using a few sticks of larch kindling to get you're fire going:)

I've just put a big log of leylandi on the woodburner is that resinous?!

Cheers James

I've just put a big log of leylandi on the woodburner is that resinous?!

Cheers James
If it is dry you should have no problems using a few sticks of larch kindling to get you're fire going:)

The SSW facing boards on the shed that really catch the heat from the sun are still oozing sap. I might use some scrap pieces on the outdoor fire pit if it's not too smokey.

I won't be using it on the indoor wood burner.

Leylandi burns well when dry and is very resinous but if your stove is working ok and burning at the right temperature then you should have no problem with it,have burnt several large ones over the years with no issues:)

Leylandi burns well when dry and is very resinous but if your stove is working ok and burning at the right temperature then you should have no problem with it,have burnt several large ones over the years with no issues:)
Thanks but I'm tempted to turn the straighter sections.

Cheers James

Back