Siberian Larch - Garage door Help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunkytfg

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished a Shed build and despite buying the correct amount of Board on board cladding + 15% for wastage I have ended up with tons of it left.

So I've been trying to work out the best thing to do with it and I'm thinking that it would be good to replace the old knackered up and over garage door with a pair of Nice garage doors.

So my questions to you all are...

Is the larch a suitable wood to use for this?

I have 2 sizes of boards, 70 x 25mm and 140 x 25mm. They are all fairly varied in length however the wider boards are not especially long maybe 1600mm to 1800mm on average. I was thinking a sort of diagonal/herringbone style as that way It's not too critical about the board lengths being short.

My issue is the main frame. For my shed doors I simply made the frames out of C24 3x2 then built the larch cladding up on the face of it but for the garage doors I'd like to do a proper job. Can I get away with using either of the board sizes I have to make up the main frame or will I need to source something a bit more chunky?

And lastly can anyone point me in the right direction of some good online guides to making this kind of thing as I'm very new to door building and with a door that big/heavy I'm be very worried about it drooping so I want to do it properly.

Thanks

firstly larch is a great wood for this job.
I think 25mm is very thick I'm guessing this is rough sawn. I would make the frame from 4 by 2 .although I reckon angled stuff knocks years off a gates life if you need to do it to save buying wood so be it. you don't tell us what facilities you have available for prep though

Ahh apologies. The cladding is 20mm not 25mm. Still pretty chunky but its PAR not rough sawn.

I'm not adverse to buying more wood if it means making the gates properly.

Tools wise I've got most things except a surface planer.

Good to know the woods good for the job though.

Thanks Richard. Thats a great concept but I really want a 1/3-2/3 side hinged set of doors that will very rarely be opened as I have a side access door I will be using.

Latest posts

Back