Shultzy's Shed (Workshop Build really - lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shultzy and Steve,

My brother-in-law has been a qualified, Chartered Surveyor for well over 35 years. Then other day he revealed a 'trade-secret' to me.

The DuPont 'breathable' vapour barrier has been tried on three occasions since the 1970's and on the two previous occasions DuPont managed to steamroller their product, despite problems with damp.

Apparently, damp gets into insulation from outside, causing problems between layers of so-called damp proofing. This was causing studding to rot and it was concluded that the breathability worked both ways!

As far as he is aware, the design of the product hasn't changed so the problem might still be there. Maybe a case of financial muscle forcing the product into the market again.

I don't know how true this is, but I can't see any reason that my bro-in-law would make up a story like that.

So I am going to use building paper if I can get it!

Regards
John :)

Thanks for the heads up.I subby to a roofing contractor and he can get me breathable roofing sheet quite cheap.Was going to go with that.

Hi Steve,
Well, no problem..
I thought it might help to pass that nugget on, but of course things might have changed. I think I'll go with solid 9" wall then... :D

Regards
John

I had a blockwork shop last time.Thought i would go with a timber one this time and save myself some labour costs.And i think a timber shop would be a nicer working environment.

I suppose I could use leggo..

Remember from way back, 'Tomorrow's World' featured somone who invented a full size, plastic-brick building system. I never saw it used so maybe it never caught on!

I remember thinking at the time... 'One good gale!'

:D

John

These are just the job for you then John :D.

yrp833.jpg

(hammer) (hammer) (hammer)
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Yeah! Specially desiged and coming to a Cathedral near you!

Actually, had I the space, they definitely would suit me! I could live in the place.

Cheers
John :)

A bit more work completed. The large windows were made to two halves as this was easier to machine and glue up, as I don't have any clamps big enough. The DG units are inserted from the inside and the moulding is "L" shaped to take up the difference between the window and seals thickness, and the window rebate. I should have made the frames thicker; for two reasons the beading would have been easier to make (having no rebate) and there would have been enough timber to put the window stays on to. The DG units were £50, bring the grand total for the build to £3250.

Shed062.JPG

Now for the inside and the more interesting bits to make :D .

This is the bench to hold my lathe. I had to order more timber and although the last load was sawn square edged this delivery was CLS :? . It wasn't worth sending back so I just used loose biscuits to line them up and glued them together.

Shed064.jpg

The central support is a bit naff as I didn't want to plane it square and loose thickness, and it twisted out of square. The other two are perfect as I had prepared the timber properly. They are a nominal 4x4 made from 4x2 glued together. The half-lap joints were made by glueing rather than cutting.

The drawers sides and bottom are 12mm mdf with the grooves cut on the TS. I'm making the drawer fronts today and will post later.

Shultzy

Regarding the stainless hinges, it is recommended to lightly oil them regularly,some makes tell you this in the instructions.Where I work there are several thousand doors with allsorts of hinges on but as we fit new doors or do maintainence we use the stainless ones.But as I am a contractor it is not up to me to go round oiling these hinges and after a period of time a black grease starts to come out of the hinges, and they stiffen up especially the the external doors which are nearly all outward opening.You may allready know this I just thought that I would point it out in case you didnt.The workshop is looking good Ibet you cant wait to get in it.

Dennis

Thanks for the info Dennis, how regular, will once a month do? I've been working in the shed since last December when I finished the doors and shutters. Bit of a pain really as I have a combi, bandsaw and a load of wood in there as well. There's was a lot of double handling till recently, but now I have the bench completed I have more room to work.

I think it suggested on first fitting and every six months, I have only used a couple of packs with this information in so I will have to look if we get that particular make again.It would be interesting to know if anyone has had any problems with these hinges not being oiled and black grease coming out.Where I work the factory have a maintainence joiner of their own so it is really up to him to look after them,but as their are so many doors one man cannot keep on top of them and he passes a lot of work to the firm that I work for.

Dennis

Well I've finished the outside at last. I completed and fitted the end capping pieces yesterday. I've still to finish the painting inside so with paint and a few odds and sods the final bill comes to £3300, which I think is not bad considering how well its constructed. I bet the kit inside comes to more than that :D .

Shed065.jpg

I also completed the drawer fronts over the weekend. They are made from offcuts of 18mm ply from the roof with pine lipping, and 3 coats of satin polyurethane varnish. The handles were £1.50 each from the odds and ends bin in the local wood yard. Its actually the first proper set of drawers I've made, I used to make them out of plastic moulded sides with a screw on front :oops: , so I'm quite pleased with the results.

Shed066.jpg

Firstly, my apoligies for bringing this post back out from the dark ages! But the link was in Shultzy's signature, so had to have a look!

I'd seen this post before, but never replied to it...... :? Well, now I've read the whole lot. And it looks like it took a hell of a lot of hard work, but got there in the end. A very much deserved well done must be given!

But..... can you post some pictures up now of how the shop looks inside now its finished!

Thankyou :)
Simon

Simon, I would if it were finished inside. Apart from the bench in the last picture and a few open cupboards to get the tools off the floor I haven't done much. I'm working on the workbench thread at the moment but don't worry I'm contracted to show all WIP pics or the rest of you lot will send the round the heavys'. :lol:

A bit of thread-necromancy here...
I've just checked your workbench thread after following the links in your signature and would now like to hold you to your promise of showing the rest of the workshop.

I'm designing my own shop and bench at the moment so the more I can see the merrier.

Is it all done now?

For those of you who expressed a desire to see the inside of my shop, here are the pics. Remember as with all 'shops this is "work in progress" :lol:

Shed067.JPG

Looking in through door in the centre is the combo, left rear the bandsaw, and the router table on the rear right. The pillar drill is due to be mounted on a separate table and the chop saw will be replaced by my lathe. Long clamps by the side of the window.

Shed068.JPG

Looking from front to back the bench at rear, short clamps on left

HI all, thanks for your tips and awesome pics.

Well, I am still trying to work out what to do, only now I have the added problem in that I managed to pick up 50 x 3.6m 4x2s for half price, so have to try and work my complete design around those lengths in order to not have to buy more timber. Currently, it looks like I will only be having 1.8m high walls so I can get two uprights from each piece of timber. No worries though, cos the single course of bricks, plus double top-plates will bring the walls to around 2m.

Anway still trying to work out weather to build a flat roof or not. Shultzy, how did you cut the long angle on the bottom chord ? My Mitre saw doesn't slide, so I have no chance of doing it with that?

Anyway - this is progress so far...

shed1.jpg

Attachments

• shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 4,077
Back