Shows and Discounts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froglet

Established Member
Reaction score
What sort of discounts/deals do you get at shows such as Tools2004? Is it worth waiting and turning up to a show with a long shopping list? I'd also like to be able to hold the tools before I buy, to make sure they fit in my hands, especially if I'm going to be paying 100 pounds or more for a plane or a set of chisels.

Of course it's an awful long way to Tools2004 from where I live although there is the North of England Woodworking Show later in November that is a lot nearer (and probably a good deal smaller).

Problem is it would delay my purchasing for another 7 weeks :cry:

Graeme

Hi Graeme

You could always split the difference and go to the Midlands show in Coventry which is in three weeks. :D

I tend to treat shows as an opportunity to touch and feel things.

If you are thinking of making any major purchases do your research beforehand or you will end up paying more than you need to.

Cheers
Neil

I tend to treat shows as an opportunity to touch and feel things.

that explains why I get dirty looks from marketing girls when I say I'm a woodworker....sheesh....

Just tell them you're a doctor instead.

hmmmmmmmm might be somethin to that..

successful wireman = part electronics tech, part electrician and part Gynaecologist

I knew a Gynaecologist he wanted to try a bit of DIY he re-decorated his hall through the letterbox :lol:

Hey AP,

Very good, reminds me of the bloke who was born by C Section, always left by the french windows.
Sounded better in my head....

Anyway, topic wise, there's usually pipper all to be saved at shows, despite the hype. Yeah sure, there's discounts, discounts off the list price for power tools etc, which are over inflated to begin with. Regarding Axminster stuff, I'm pretty sure it's near enough catalogue price. The bin ends and the "pound stalls" sometimes prove ok. Stuff that I've bought at Tools 2002 (flat tyre in 2003, long story..) without research but alot of haggling ended up costing the same as D&M or MTS stores.
As Neil has mentioned, fondle, feel and test, then go to your local tool guy and have a barney about the price.
Of course there are things that are not available elsewhere and that generally is what gets my money.
Bit like waiting at an airport, too much time and money...

Noel

Unless there's a major change in policy, it's 10% off across the whole catalogue at the Axminster Show. It certainly pays to have notes of your best price with you so you know if you're really getting a good deal or not. I also treat shows more and more as a place to see (tools, craftsmanship, people) than a place to buy these days. Begs the question; why have I been saving up for it then...? Well you never know :wink: I think I'm right in saying Bessy clamp prices are always worth having at the shows, yes chaps? And where else can you get St Thomas of Maine to sign the plane you just bought? (Am I boring anyone with that gloat yet...? :lol: )

Cheers, Alf

P.S. And chaps? Have a heart. Some of us were eating breakfast... :|

Hi Alf

Alf":3n0rdp4x said:
I think I'm right in saying Bessy clamp prices are always worth having at the shows, yes chaps?

Errrm, no. Xpress are still the cheapest around and they deliver to your door. D & M also had some offers on recently.

Cheers
Neil

Alf wrong?...no, not quite. No doubt there'll be the three F clamps for a tenner, but that's it, other than the usual Bessey assorted packs that are available most places.

Noel

Newbie_Neil":3w06tlwc said:
Alf":3w06tlwc said:
I think I'm right in saying Bessy clamp prices are always worth having at the shows, yes chaps?

Errrm, no. Xpress are still the cheapest around and they deliver to your door. D & M also had some offers on recently.
Oh. All right then. Obviously not. :oops: Funny though, 'cos everyone, practically without exception, always seems to come back from shows with some. Why? It's not like they're a handy thing to carry around an exhibition hall. I suppose it's the old "I must come back with something" mentality married to "you can never have enough clamps". :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Newbie_Neil":zfngypsh said:
Xpress are still the cheapest around and they deliver to your door.

Not sure about that Neil or am I missing something?

I've nothing better to do so I checked around on the price of 2 Bessey K body 600mm clamps

..................................Xpress.....Axminster......D&M

Goods Total............... 45.00............45.11...... 52.78
Delivery........................6.50.............free..........5.00
Total ex VAT................51.50
VAT..............................9.01............. inc.............inc
Order Total..................60.51.......... 55.11........57.78

Andy

Noely":25b11vat said:
Alf wrong?
You'd be surprised how few people would bother with the interrogative at the end of that phrase... :roll: :lol:

Andy, well that seems sort of conclusive. Any advance on that, Neil? And I wonder if they'll do the 10% in addition to that price? Eeeek. I'm in danger of bekoming a K body klamp konvert just 'kos, sorry, 'cos they might be a bargain*. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

*Relatively speaking in a OMG-how-much?!-For a clamp?! kinda way :roll:

There are usually some deals to be had - but never as many as you'd hope! Axminster shows have some discount applied (5 or 10% off cat prices) as Alf mentioned. And many vendors will offer discounts with some haggling - especially on the last day.

The Yandles show a couple of weeks ago had a the popular Record 75 for £99 (cheapest on the web £150), the BS350 I got for £115 off RRP and a Norton waterstone which was 30% cheaper than I've seen it anywhere (although I think he may have made up the price!) And that was just what I was looking at / buying. As long as you don't assume things will be cheaper you may be lucky.

The best thing about the Axminster show in my opinion is the number of hand tools on display - should have Clifton, Veritas and LN all well represented - and check out Rob Cosman's dovetail demo if you do get down to Exeter. If you're Philly you'll walk out of the demo with a LN dovetail saw, a LN 4 1/2 plane and a Tite Mark marking gauge :wink: - all used for his demo!

Cheers

Gidon

Well it sounds like the shows are worth a visit even if not for the prices as I mainly just want to be able to touch and see things before buying. For example at the moment I want a block plane and I can't make up my mind between Lie Nielsen and Veritas, I'm not good at decisions like this at the best of times but when things are this pricey and my knowledge this limited I do tend to oscillate. I'm hoping that seeing them in the flesh (or the ductile iron) will help me decide so I have ordered my ticket for Tools2004, I will just make sure I do my research beforehand. Of course the real problem will be the things I didn't think I wanted before I got there :?

Neil do you have any details about that show in Coventry as I'm not sure I can last until Tools2004 without buying something :D

Graeme

dedee":ht0c4plz said:
Alf, What do you mean you might buy something without any rust on it?
It has been known. :p

Gidon, it was only poverty that stopped me doing exactly what Philly did. :oops: Mr Cosman's a very persuasive salesman :shock: (perhaps it's a Canadian thing...). He's not listed as a demonstrator this year though, is he? Dunno who L-N will have. The year before it was Mario Rodriguez IIRC. <runs to L-N site> Nope, Rob's supposed to be in Halifax (Nova Scotia, not Yorkshire, I presume) on the 12th so it can't be him. Shame, 'cos I can heartily recommend his dovetailing demo. But you're right; should be a very impressive range of hand planes to look at. Be thankful; yours truly trying to flog the Veritas ones was vaguely mooted last week but I'm supposed to be on holiday so I declined. Phew, eh? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Hey Philly - I ended up with only the gauge (which I love) so I'm just jealous!

Alf - ah assumed he'd be there - he mentioned last year that he was wanting to a run a dovetail workshop (!) the week of the show in Exeter - obviously didn't come off. RC is very persuasive - and his dovetailing skills are impressive to say the least. You - on the Veritas stand? You could have had your list of plane reviews to hand - it could have been a right earner!

Cheers

Gidon

At last years Tools show Festool were giving 20% off. I hope they are there again this year as I've been saving my pennies.

Back