Shower splash back recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve a new shower to fit into a rental property we have. Im thinking that perhaps one of these single piece splash back thingies may be the way to go. No grout to keep clean and less places for water to get through.

So, where is the best place to look for this kind of thing (what are they technically called?) I’ve seen MDF with a plastic laminate over it in B&Poo which I’m definitely not going to go for as anything MDF and showers is I think doomed.…..unless you think / experience is different. I’m thinking more Trespa backing.

Secondly how to do you attach this stuff to the walls and seal around the edges?

Yep this is new territory for me. I’ve fitted bathrooms before but never this stuff.

I used Mermaid board before and it is a good quality but expensive.

Basically you just stick it to the wall and you can buy edging strips to hide the edge.

I intend on using something cheaper this time; check the web there are a lot of informative sites. I searched for shower board.

Make sure the sub service is sound, no signs of leakage and if in doubt tank the area. Wall panels are the cheaper option but a full tiling job might be nicer.

The problem I have is finding a design I like. A month or so ago I found a nice gloss black panel with a copper cloud effect on it. I saved a link at work but no longer have access to the link and cant find it again.
I did the one panel shower in the past and was happy with it but the last three showers I have used tiles. Mainly as I couldn't find a panel design I liked.

For a rental property I would defiantly go with a panel.

We are about to redo a bathroom with a one piece product from "showerwall", it is much more expensive than tiles on a m2 basis but cheaper overall when you factor in labour. If I had the skill and I was DIYing it and had the time i think I'd end up tiling,

The problem I have is finding a design I like. A month or so ago I found a nice gloss black panel with a copper cloud effect on it. I saved a link at work but no longer have access to the link and cant find it again.
I did the one panel shower in the past and was happy with it but the last three showers I have used tiles. Mainly as I couldn't find a panel design I liked.

this perhaps
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...panel-1200mm&usg=AOvVaw1ErVLStv5_mNEL_Tb1Lg5j

This?
https://igloosurfaces.com/product/copper-metallic-matt-wall-panel/

Having been in the unfortunate position of having "showerwall" panels swell up twice I said never again. I recently re did my bathroom walls with this stuff Bathroom Wall Board & Shower Board Panels By IPSL no wood, no grout and no silicone in sight, they are easy to cut and look like tiles even my wife likes them (and that's saying something) I bought them from IPSL but on their Ebay listings as they were £15 a pack cheaper? They are 650x375mm and interlock together I put a small bead of silicone on the tongue but it is all hidden behind the panelling. I am starting another bathroom using them in the morning, my daughter was so impressed with ours and owns a rental property that needs sorting out between tenants.

I’ve a new shower to fit into a rental property we have. Im thinking that perhaps one of these single piece splash back thingies may be the way to go. No grout to keep clean and less places for water to get through.

So, where is the best place to look for this kind of thing (what are they technically called?) I’ve seen MDF with a plastic laminate over it in B&Poo which I’m definitely not going to go for as anything MDF and showers is I think doomed.…..unless you think / experience is different. I’m thinking more Trespa backing.

Secondly how to do you attach this stuff to the walls and seal around the edges?

Yep this is new territory for me. I’ve fitted bathrooms before but never this stuff.
Definitely the way to go, I fitted this material in my rental house 8 years ago and still like new ! Can’t just remember the brand but shop around for price there was considerable difference between suppliers !
Fitting was easy but you do need an even surface, mine was fitted to studs with the recommended adhesive and hidden screws, it uses anodised aluminium joiners and corners plus silicon sealer. Probably the obvious but make sure the board size will go up the stairs !

Just about to use this system ours came through Shore of Perth in Scotland complete kit 2x900mm x2240mm and one at 1200mmx2240 , 2x corner rails 2x end rails and all the tubes of sealant / adhesives for £750 delivered not bad as were in Devon

In two of our bathrooms when we built we used one piece tub and surround. They are made of fibreglass and are set into the opening, the faucet fittings etc are drilled after installing to match up with the plumbing. Screws are placed into the edges and then the drywall (moisture resistant) are screwed to the wall over the edges to hide them. Edges are sealed after the painting is done. The big disadvantage to something like this is the room needed to navigate it through the house to and into the bathroom. Except for cleaning there is no maintenance and they will look good for a very long time.

Pete

https://www.gbplastics.co.uk/Products/wetrooms_decorative_panel_pvc_1M_wide_showers_just_plastics

In two of our bathrooms when we built we used one piece tub and surround. They are made of fibreglass and are set into the opening, the faucet fittings etc are drilled after installing to match up with the plumbing. Screws are placed into the edges and then the drywall (moisture resistant) are screwed to the wall over the edges to hide them. Edges are sealed after the painting is done. The big disadvantage to something like this is the room needed to navigate it through the house to and into the bathroom. Except for cleaning there is no maintenance and they will look good for a very long time.

Pete
I’ve done this in a rental house - actually 2-piece though so easy to get through doors. The bottom is the tray plus lower half of walls and then the upper walls sit inside a lip on the lower. Definitely the only leak proof option and easy to keep clean.
Alternatively I would consider tiles large enough to do the width of the walls in a single span.

I've used perspex in a couple of bathrooms successfully. 12mm ply screwed to the studs, then 4mm perspex glued on with a fix and seal type mastic. It's available in lots of standard colours and fancy effects too if you want. It's easy to clean and fairly scratch proof though I wouldn't use vim or a Brillo pad.

Personal taste may prevail in ones own house, but for a rental it is a complete no brainer to put in a solution which minimises the risk of leaks and is easier to maintain/clean.

Even with a professional installation, tiles risk degradation and leaks over time due to grout lines.

I have used a few of these things.
Try international decorative surfaces (IDS is part of saint-gobain so you can order through a jewsons account ) they have loads of types.

They are a great solution as there is less gaps and no grouting to try and clean. There are two main styles one is like a laminate flooring with hdf or mdf core and then a plastic surface the other (cheaper) type is a hollow core plastic a bit like pvc soffits.
Having done both I think the mdf core type is better if you need anything strong and structural, the other type is fine and looks great but could be damaged a bit easier. Both better than tiles.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back