Shower enclosure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidc1075

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to build a temporary shower unit on a camp site which will be used for 3-4 weeks. I need some help regarding the materials to line the walls of the shower. I intend to make a frame from 4"x 2" and line the wall with a sheet material. I was considering ply but then it needs to be waterproofed and as its only temporary it won't be tiled. Is there any alternative sheet material that isn't extremely expensive.

I would be very grateful for any advice or help from anyone else who has undertaken a similar project.

marine ply?

personally id tile it. You can pick up white ceramic tiles for pennies.

I would like some sort of water proof sheet material, I understand that there is a products that tilers use for shower enclosures behind tiles for wet areas or sheets of plastic to make up the walls of the shower but I cant seem to find them on the net. To line it with polythene would look rather nasty and I want it to look professional and I just don't have the time to tile it with all the other work that I have to do.

The old fashioned stuff is a concrete board called aquapanel (or hardibacker/versapanel are others of the same type), available (in half sheets) from Wickes. This won't fall apart when it gets wet, unlike plasterboard. Over two or three weeks I wouldn't have thought it would be any better than wbp ply in your application, and it is damn heavy and much more expensive than ply. The new fangled stuff is (waterproofed) concrete and mesh faced polystyrene panels, which are totally waterproof, but very expensive (at least twice as much as ply).

I'd just go with a wbp ply, because whichever of these you use, if they aren't tiled they aren't going to look professional anyway, and it is the simplest, cheapest, and easiest to handle. It'll look better than aquapanel too.

Thanks Jake that was the material that I had heard of but as cost and time are an issue I will go with the ply. Thanks all Dave

david what about tiled hardboard i think it came in 8x4 sheets its used to line bathroom walls or you can get white plastic sheets look in yellow pages .some one will know the stuff i mean.

Dave,

I know the stuff that Frank mentions (but unfortunately not a supplier, but I would expect it to be generally available) and think it would be perfectly suitable. As long as it is well sealed around the joins and edges it should easily last for a month, and may be no more expensive, perhaps even cheaper than, marine ply.

Cheers,

Trev.

How about treating ply with pva external type and sealing the joints with silicone there is of course paint.

Back