Shower backing panel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A first post :)

I know you are mainly wood working here, but you may have a bright idea.

I am just about to tile my bathroom. In my experience the weak link in bathrooms is over bath showers, the rails break, the showers die, and you can end up with messed up tiling from fitting new appliances.

In fact the first shower I want to fit is my current power shower which is getting due to be pensioned off.

So what I want to do is mount the shower on a panel, which would be mounted an inch out from the tiling, the panel would hide the piping, and be relatively cheap, so that with a new shower I could replace it.

But I am pretty stuck on finding something suitable.

tia

jema

Hi Jema and welcome to the forum

From your post I'm not sure whether you are talking about a pumped power shower or an electrically heated power shower.

If the former then where is the pump going?

Is this a shower over the bath or is there an existing enclosure that you are using.

Can you give us a few more details?

Roger

ok, have rung B&Q cos I couldn't find them on the website either. White are £34.98, and silver £49.98. They are called tiled wall kits and the bar code for any one wanting to order them is 5031978185005 for the white ones. They are not available through website (why we couldn't find them Laughing ) - only in stores.

Just got the tip above. Don;t know whether it really is waht I mean though. Just of to B&Q to take a look.

It Is a plain and simple over bath shower. In a sense it does not matter what type it is, current a power shower with inbuilt pump. The point it to mount whatever shower I get onto something to both conceal the pipework behind it, and for it, not the tiles to take the damage. So when I get the next show I don't get yet another set up drill holes in the tiles.

jema

Hi Jema. Welcome
For showers I use a board called Mermaid board. It is a waterproof laminated ply of some kind, where even the edges are water-resistant. Usually the edges are concealed when I install it, but it would probably suit your needs.
It's not very cheap, but it's usually the way that there is an offcut left over from a job, and they aren't much use to anyone. Perhaps get in touch with a local bathroom fitter and blag an offcut?

In the end I have bought a polystrene sheet, I will edge it in some way and paint the back silver. I think it will look ok.

thanks for the ideas

jema

jema i think the polystrene sheet will be a waste of time its to soft for any building work its just for insulation you can get tile effect boards that you fit to the walls . if it was me i would use tiles every time you can put the cable and pipes behind them .most showers now have standed fittings.

It is quite a thick rigid sheet I have little doubt that mounted properly it will be strong enough. Guess I'll find out in a few days.

jema

Back