Show us yer .... Bird-feeders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tempImagejPPBDw.png tempImage5coTXb.png tempImagejTAExU.png

I made this lil beauty a few months ago. It's held up well but so far has only been visited by a magpie and a pigeon that sit on the roof :(. There's not much cover around it, so I may have to wait for the tree to mature before I see any activity on it.

This is a simple feeder using :-
1. 2Lt bottle of cider [best emptied straight from fridge]
2. Metal pie dish from Poundland [drilled for drainage and mounting]
3. 20mm M5 bolt with nut and washer
4. Cup hook
SAM_1550_Converted.JPG
SAM_1550_Converted.JPG
SAM_1550_Converted.JPG

My wife wanted a bird table so I made this, it gets Bluetits, robins, finches, starlings, thrush, magpies, pigeons, doves, & squirrels. I put a mixture of seed, meal worms, fruit suet & nuts on the table first thing every morning, usually by the next day the table is empty.
Oh and we had a visitor once who didn't realise it wasn't made for him/her!
IMG_1558D.JPG
IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_1505.jpeg
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg

The metal pole deters squirrels
Oh how naive you are :LOL::LOL:
Not even if the pole had a disc around it, with barbed wire and a sealed glass container, Squirrels are designed by nature to raid birdhouses. They are the armed robbers of bird feeding tables.

If you didnt see it, theres a YT vid on page one showing how well adapted they are to raiding feeder tables. Really are far cleverer than many people give them credit for. But then they have to be, like all, squirrels have to eat too.

Some nice designs on show, keep them coming.

my own design thinking was of something akin to a multi segmented sphere. Look like a chocolate orange segments, spaced out with just enough room for small birds to fit between the segments.
The idea is being identical segments, it can be easily reporduced using a template and router, then arranged in a circle on a circular base, with a cone shaped roof, a long threaded rod connects the cone to the base, with maybe something like a split pin to hold together and easily removed for refilling.

Last edited:
To be fair, I like the squirrels there is enough food out there for all the wildlife, the birds are there quite early and the squirrels come later in the day.

Padster

The bottle waterer reminds me of a Christmas gift I gave by buddies little girl. It was a feeder that screwed on the same kind of bottle that we buy pop in. I included a full bottle of pop along with the seed and feeder. Their grandmother came over and asked her what she got for Christmas and she said "Pete gave us Pepsi......for the birds." Grandmother had a puzzled look on her face until her daughter explained. :)

Bit over the top maybe for birds but its all about the journey for me.

194715643_920243208772673_1012066032804647975_n.jpg

Back