Shoveling gravel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to order 0.8 cu m (which I think is about 2 tonnes) for a garden path and am finding it daunting. I think you are being brave.

Steve Maskery":35gshob7 said:
I'm about to order 0.8 cu m (which I think is about 2 tonnes) for a garden path and am finding it daunting. I think you are being brave.

Steve, a fit young lad like you will have that done in no time, you could use yours as a warm up then pop over and give me a hand with mine =D> =D> =D>

Doug71":2d1retk4 said:
Steve Maskery":2d1retk4 said:

Steve, a fit young lad like you will have that done in no time, you could use yours as a warm up then pop over and give me a hand with mine =D> =D> =D>

Apparently shoveling snow causes a significant increase in the incidence of heart attacks in USA - hospitals actually plan ahead for it. Now I am not suggesting for a moment that you gentlemen are anything other than sleek, young shoveling machines, tuned to a peak of fitness, but if you haven't done similar work in a while, just go slowly!

Trainee neophyte":mospwkte said:
Doug71":mospwkte said:
Steve Maskery":mospwkte said:

Apparently shoveling snow causes a significant increase in the incidence of heart attacks in USA - hospitals actually plan ahead for it. Now I am not suggesting for a moment that you gentlemen are anything other than sleek, young shoveling machines, tuned to a peak of fitness, but if you haven't done similar work in a while, just go slowly!

Or better still, get a GALMI

RogerS":3jen90il said:
Or better still, get a GALMI

Other than being a small town in Niger, I don't know what a GALMI is.

{Some time later...}

Well, now I do. Oddly, the only mention on the entire internet was here is: http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... start=1950

If you want shoveling done, I don't think you want a small person. Ideally you want a gurt big 'uge b*gger. Someone who eats pasties and talks like a pirate, for example.

Here we would say "Get a Bangladeshi in". I don't know what the UK equivalent would be these days - all the Poles have gone, I understand. (Note: Bangladeshis tend not to be 'uge, but they are cheap, so you would get two or three instead.

If you can get it delivered by a grab lorry then there will pretty much be zero shoveling
Just the odd lump that needs knocking off with a rake

When I laid mine, I hired a digger...."how hard can it be ?".

Made a right old Horlicks. Spent most of my time hand-picking the grey stone out of the Pick'n'Mix I'd created by digging too deep.

When the lorry driver came back with the second load and saw my miserable effort..he said 'I thought you were getting a professional in to use the digger. I'll drag'n'drop this load for you. Best £20 I've ever spent.

Then when the hire guy came to collect, he took pity on me and finished it off for me.

I had told the supplier it would be handy if the gravel came early this morning but wasn't expecting it to turn up at 7:30 am :shock:

Driver was really helpful, drove forward while tipping which saved a lot of raking =D>

6 tons really wasn't that much, should have ordered 10 #-o

I saw a friend over the weekend who offered to come over and help raking, we started at 8am and were done by 10am this included raking the whole area to make it look better not just spreading the new gravel and a coffee break.

Went much easier then expected, worst bit was whackering it this afternoon. I always borrow the local builders whacker plate as he is always borrowing stuff off me. Didn't realise he'd had the normal one stolen and had replaced it with the smallest, cheapest thing going, really slow, noisy and it felt to vibrate more through the handle then it did on the stone, looked much better when finished though.

Doug

Back