Shoulder Plane reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just got my copy of the latest Fine Woodworking. Of particular note is an article reviewing shoulder planes. Interestingly, the Veritas one with the brass thingy (as reviewed by the lovely Alf :lol: ) came out as the reviewers best on test. Also there are reviews of the L-N's, Cliftons, HNT Gordon, Shepherd and others.
I'm sure this article will be of interest to you hand tool lovers.
Regards
Philly :D

HI Philly

Interesting! Out of all the shoulder planes I've tried so far (veritas and £2 wooden one from car boot) the veritas comes out tops for me too. :wink:
A very reasonable price, especially when compared to the LN. From what Rob Lee told me in our ecent email correspondence, I would say that their large Shoulder Plane will be even better and out soon.

Cheers

Tony

Tony":2ijuxkfm said:
Out of all the shoulder planes I've tried so far (veritas and £2 wooden one from car boot)
Wooden? :? I assume (for 2 quid) we're not talking infills here, so a rebate plane, methinks.

Cheers, Alf

It's not even out in Canada yet, unless Rob's slipped it past everyone, quiet like. (Sound likely? Hmm, didn't think so. :wink: ) Better check though, just in case... Nope, no miraculous appearance here.

Cheers, Alf

The large shoulder plane is nearly out. Rob says that they have the first batch of castings in for machining so shouldn't be long now.

Cheers

Tony

Tony":30kkhtb4 said:
Rob says that they have the first batch of castings in for machining so shouldn't be long now.
Yeah, he does that. He likes to build up the maximum amount of drool... :roll:

Alf":1sgrx7xw said:
Tony":1sgrx7xw said:
Rob says that they have the first batch of castings in for machining so shouldn't be long now.
Yeah, he does that. He likes to build up the maximum amount of drool... :roll:

...Do not! ;)

Well - ok, but just a bit....

Cheers -

Rob
(who'll see the first Large Shoulder this week....not to mention the concave shave....)

Alf":l0k3vs0g said:
Wooden? :? I assume (for 2 quid) we're not talking infills here, so a rebate plane, methinks.

Rebate/rabbet and shoulder planes are often confused and FWW is no exception. In Germany there is no such thing as a shoulder plane, because we always saw our tenons right the first time :wink: At least I found no mention of correcting tenon shoulders with a shoulder plane. I think it's safe to assume that necessary adjustments were made with a chisel.

Wolfgang

wjordan":3tyf296o said:
In Germany there is no such thing as a shoulder plane, because we always saw our tenons right the first time :wink:
Dammit, I knew I'd picked the wrong nationality... :roll: :lol:

wjordan":3vk9xu2c said:
Rebate/rabbet and shoulder planes are often confused and FWW is no exception. In Germany there is no such thing as a shoulder plane, because we always saw our tenons right the first time :wink: At least I found no mention of correcting tenon shoulders with a shoulder plane. I think it's safe to assume that necessary adjustments were made with a chisel.

Wolfgang

Hi, Wolfgang!
The area where I live (north central Kansas, USA) was settled mostly by German immigrants and I have a theory that is why I don't see shoulder planes or tenon adjusting planes (Stanley #140, #10, etc) even though other types are plentiful.

Back