Should I wait?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

como

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am turning a bowl from purpleheart at the moment. I know that purpleheart turns brownish when cut and then turns back to purple with exposure, does anyone know if applying a finish straight after turning will stop the wood from returning back to purple, or should i wait for the wood to re-gain it's colour before applying the finish?

Mark

Mark
You can apply your finish right away-it doesn't seem to make a difference on all the PH I've used.
Cheers
Philly :D

Thanks for the responses guy's, I already went ahead and put the finish on the bowl. Just for future reference, what Philly says is correct, the purple does still develop with the finish applied. The bowl has been finished about 5 days and it has changed to a very vivid deep purple.

Thanks again

Mark

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you could use some uv inhibiting product to slow the fading. Someone suggested a wax or polish designed for car dashboards. (and there's always sunscreen!)

Also, if you want to cheat a bit and the purple colour is really important for the item rather than just looking good (a playing counter for example) I have used a little purple spirit stain prior to finishing.

I does not really effect the colour but holds the purple longer than would otherwise be the case!

Good luck
Simon

Thanks for the tip Simon, I never even thought about staining purple heart but I can see how it could be very useful, One to remember!

Hi Mark

I made a bowl from purple heart for my bro and his family last xmas. It was purple when I turned it, I applied 2 coats of sanding sealer and 1 coat of friction polish and it's still as purple as the day I made it.

Cheers Donald

I have been told that purple heart will remain purple if it lives in a bright area. My mother in law in York has a bowl I made three years ago and it lives in a bright room. Last Sept it was still as purple as when I made it.

It was finished with 12 coats of wipe on poly, the first 10 coats where wiped off 15 min after application. The last two where left to dry and then hand buffed.

Tom

Purpleheart may turn brown... it takes years though so don't hold your breath :wink:

Back