Should I use a wood preserver?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use the solvent based Dulux Weathershield products for finishing some sapele windows I'm making. I'm also going to prime using Dulux aluminium primer.

I can remember when I used aluminium primer many years ago it was quite thick and produced draggy blobs. Should I thin the first coat to get maximum penetration? If so by how much?

My second question is can I use an initial wood preserver especially round the bottom rails and joints which will take all the rain and weathering. As it's like water I feel the penetration will be a lot better.

Richard

I use the Dulux aluminium primer and as you say it can drag and leave lumps. It needs a really good stir before you start and it seems like once it starts drying on the brush a bit you get the dragging, also if you try and go back over a bit that is just drying but not dry enough it drags :rolleyes: The lumps do brush off quite easily when it is just dry, it seems to be about catching it all at the right time. I do sometimes thin it if I'm really struggling but generally if the paint is new it goes on okay.

I am always cautious of using some of the preservers as you never know how they affect the paint you put on top of them. I am not keen on the Dulux Weathershield preserver primer as it's acrylic and lifts the grain on somethings.

On top of the aluminium primer I often use the Dulux Ultimate Opaque spirit based stuff, can need a few coats though.

It has been a long time since I used Dulux Weathershield on exterior wood but in the day it was a system with filler, knotting, primer, undercoat and top coat. I used the whole system and I have to say it was the best exterior paint I have ever used 25 years later there was no cracking or peeling but the sun had caused it to lose its gloss.

Stir the living daylights (and all lumps) out of the ali primer (the best bit IMHO) and only if absolutely necessary thin with white spirit (subject to confirmation by reading the manufacturer's data sheet). Use a clear, spirit-based preserver if you feel the need, but the ali primer plus good design detailing plus proper maintenance ought to make it unnecessary.

Back