Should I sand my decking before treatment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests... I am on the final furlong of my decking project and will be ready to treat the wood by next weekend. The treatrment I have is Seasonite and does not mention sanding in it's directions. Although there are a few planks where I have felt a sanding would benifit. However, am I making work for myself? I would use a ROS and Detail sander.

Also the Decking came with the end grain treated with a kind of wax. Can anyone tell me what this product is and if it is availible for me to use myself. I have been treating cut ends with a blue treatment but the wax gives the wood a more attrractive finish for those ends that will be seen.

Thanks

WiZer

Not sure what material you have used on your deck, mine is the groved softwood type and this doesn't need any sanding.

I put it down last year and still haven't got around to doing the planking although the hand rail is done.

I guess if some of the wood looks rough then a quick sand won't do it any harm.

Thanks Waka

It's Brazilian Yellow Balau hardwood. I may just sand the bits that look like they need it.

that should reaslly come up nice with a clear decking oil.

When I did the hand rail the first coat just dissapeared, I guesds that was because I left it so long, but the second coat really brought out the features in the wood.

Hoipefully get some good weather so I can do the decking.

Don't forget to share the pic's with us when its all done. it helps me see where I went wrong.

Back