Should I feel guilty?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I went to a tool shop and made some purchases-
Festool TS55 saw
1400 guide rail
Festool OF1400 1/2" router
2700 guide rail
Festool Multi Function Table
and some Festool clamps etc
the thing is, I need all this stuff because I am a full time woodworker, and it will make my work quicker and more efficient, therefore more profitable. So why do I feel guilty :?
John

you should feel guilty after that the only way to ease that much guilt would be to put your new kit into a box and post to exeter . pm me for my address :mrgreen:

Newbie_Neil":s55zzucp said:
John

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the mft when you've had it a little while.

Cheers
Neil
Actually the MFT and the long guide rail weren't in stock so won't arrive til Monday or Tuesday. I hope to post something in the review section a few days after that.
When I got home the tumble drier had gone wrong, took three hours to repair it so playtime in the workshop with new toys , sorry, I mean serious investigation of the earning potential of these new tools is postponed til tomorrow, I will content myself with reading the instruction books as I drink my cocoa
John

No need to feel guilty. As a "full-timer" I think you have no reason not to buy the best tools that are safe, and allow you work efficiently, are high quality (so don't need repair) and accurate. All these factors combine to maximise your working speed, which = more completed jobs per year.

I hope you keep it all safely locked up. Thats quite a haul :eek:

I've taken to engraving my postcode onto all my tools, using one of these "electric engravers". Surprisingly it works really well on plastic, as well as metal, so I've marked up all my powertools also. At least if I got cleared out, I'd be poring over the classifieds, car-boots sales and the like, to see if any of my stuff was there - and I'd be able to identify it.

Thanks chaps, I'm starting to feel better already :D

I think my first step is going to be to make a big, flat, solid 8'x4' cutting table. Most of my work (making kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts) starts with cutting up sheets of veneered MDF. At the moment I do this by placing them across four trestles, roughly cutting out what I need and then cutting to size on the sliding table saw. The idea of the Festool stuff is, of course, to cut out that extra step and make the first cut, especially the rips, the final cut.
The MFT table will be used mostly for the crosscuts, also for trimming the kitchen cabinet doors to their final sizes. I also plan to use it with the router for cutting the togues on the ends of the rails. This probably won't be as quick as the router table and tenonning carriage I use at the moment, but should be safer and easier to collect the dust from.

John

You should never feel guilty about investing in your business, John - I'm happy for you that things are going well so you are in a position to do so, I still hate you though :evil: :wink: :lol:

I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the OF1400 when you've had time to give it a workout.

NeilCFD

John,

Guilty? Of course you're guilty. You didn't have to tell us for a start! :lol: Seriously though, investing in your business is nothing to feel guilty about, like Neil says. Work takes up such a huge percentage of time why not make it as painless as possible? Enjoy, and I look forward to the reviews. :D

Cheers, Alf

John,

Sorry mate, I don't get where you're coming from. What's all this guilt thing about? It sounds like you're running a business. It's just capital expenditure isn't it, and tax deductable at that. Are you feeling guilty that you're depriving the taxman of a wedge?

Ike

John,
Dont feel guilty; if you use them to make money ie your main source of income then as ike said its tax refundable.
You'll love the router, had mine just over a month what a fantastic machine, i have over 20 routers and this baby keeps coming out the drawer, its soooooo smooth its a treat to work with.
I also liked there saw, when i used to do kitchens it was great for worktops even the plunge cuts for sinks and hobs worked great, the smoothness of it gives confidence.
Festool seem to be getting better and better
only ever had 2 of their tools that didnt cut it the rest superb

enjoy
Ian

Ian Dalziel":16rfch1y said:
i have over 20 routers
<Raises eyebrow, sucks in breath, finds the C word hovvering, resists>

What's up, Ian? Lost all your collet wrenches? :lol:

Cheers, Alf :wink:

Alf wrote
What's up, Ian? Lost all your collet wrenches?

<hushed>. maybe it's a fetish thing...??

<glances at Neil...

j/k Ian.... nothing wrong with being a Normite..

<relieved that my 4 routers isn't as OTT as I'd thought

Alf,
Just wondering what the 'C' word was

20 wasnt supposed to be a gloat its all i have left, i have owned probobly around 40, i have burned out around 10 :cry: sold some and use some for spares and i can never find a spanner, but i dont need one as i dont need to change cutter just change router. :shock:
the festool range certainly cut it :lol:

I managed to burn out routers as i was doing worktops on a daily basis sometimes 4 or 5 a day and they get mis treated ie thrown into backs of vans etc, i have also been collecting tools for over 18 years long before i saw norm, although he is starting to catch up on me, getting tools for free certainly helps.

Ian

Ian Dalziel":35noacoz said:
Alf,
Just wondering what the 'C' word was

Ssssshh, ALF has a mental block on the word "Collector". Anything of the same type, of which you own more than 5, definately makes you a collector....... She still thinks shes only a humble WW'r, but the addiction has taken her far past that stage now.....

Adam

Cheers Adam,
I thought thats what it meant,

Pete,
I had the CDD12v mark 1 version compact drill. It worked well for around 2 weeks then I noticed the batteries only holding a charge for 15-20 min, went back to supplier new batts replaced they only lasted another month. Then the chuck kept spitting the screwdriver bit out ie I couldn’t tighten enough to secure the bit again back to supplier and a new chuck fitted, I then found it to be quite heavyweight whilst trying to screw into awkward areas so I gave it to a grateful apprentice. I believe they now have an upgraded chuck
I also had the 9.6 volt T handle cordless drill , just wasn’t a good piece of kit and i dont think they make it anymore it also ended up with an apprentice.
I might just have been unlucky, like all manufacturers there are rogue tools

I do however own most of the festool range, I am hard on tools and they have to work or I bin them quickly, I’m blessed with no patience I’m afraid Festools C/S, jigsaw, routers, sanders etc are first class and are in use regularly. Did manage to kill a jigsaw but it was replaced same day no problems. Also love their cord system.
I do notice though they don’t offer cordless jigsaw or C/S or router, just wonder if they cant get enough uuuummph out their batts for these

getting back to little patience my new wanadoo broadband connection is making me wanadont, i am about to make someones ear resemble a pork chop if i can eventually get through

Regards
Ian

Back