Should I buy a £90 pillar drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it looks a bit scruffy it should be a reasonable drill within a reasonable travelling distance. My drill was bought under similsr conditions - works fine but hasn't been used for some time. I just gave it a bit of a clean up, needed to increase the tension on the quill return spring a bit and all was fine. Of course you can't be sure unless you actually see the machine. Take note of the comments about weight! Have a look at http://www.lathes.co.uk/fobco/ (he has spare parts).

Misterfish

That Fobco is a very sensible option. They were excellent drills and the fact it is single phase means fettling for you. It's old iron and the quality is very high on those drills.

Paul.

Thanks
misterfish":12cc1xci said:
Take note of the comments about weight!
Can't you take it apart - ie, off the pole? I was planning on picking one up in a hatch back, not a truck.

Yes. You can take the head off without problem, but even the parts are heavy. I can't say about the stand as I have the bench version - but all is substantial engineering. There should be no problem getting the parts in a hatchback type car.

Misterfish

I've just checked and the weight of the bench drill is 148 lb - the floor mounted version will obviously be a fair bit heavier as the pillar is solid steel.

misterfish":1gdk12ul said:
Yes. You can take the head off without problem, but even the parts are heavy.
I believe you. I guess take dismantling tools, gloves and a sack truck with me. After it's in a few pieces, it should be difficult. In one piece, impossible.

So, how much do you think that one's worth?

Thanks

In the photo it looks like the shaft/spindle hasn't returned properly, ie you can see a lot of shaft above the chuck. Is that a sign that the return spring is knackered ???

chippy1970":3czr5euz said:
In the photo it looks like the shaft/spindle hasn't returned properly, ie you can see a lot of shaft above the chuck. Is that a sign that the return spring is knackered ???

I don't think so - on http://www.lathes.co.uk/fobco/ it states
On early versions of the drill three choices of spindle end were available: a ordinary Jacobs No. 6 taper (to carry no. 34 Jacob chuck) or a long external taper having either a No. 1 or No. 2 Morse insert..

Also not only is the depth stop assembly is in the correct place for the quill to be at the normal fully raised position but the actual quill is more substantial and a similar diameter to the chuck.

The drill on offer is obviously older than mine if serial numbers are (as expected) issued sequentialy. Mine is in the 20,000 range whereas the Ebay offering is around 13,000.

Misterfish

chippy1970":2u9upwd9 said:
Did you get the fobco then ?
Nope, it went for more than I was ready to pay (£137). I've seen a couple of others, but I haven't seen enough to be confident of the correct price. How about the Warco, how much should that be worth?

It's always difficult to value equipment - but the current version of the Warco is over £400 new, so I'd expect it to go for at least £100.

All you can do is keep an eye on what's available and the right thing will turn up at the right time in the right place.

Misterfish

The Warco is Taiwanese and much the same as many other "badged" machines on the market, Compare the Axminster WD16f for example - not identical but essentially the same thing and if you search around the web you'll find many other "makes" using the same basic parts.

Thanks
misterfish":1eiqkavo said:
the current version of the Warco is over £400 new
RogerP":1eiqkavo said:
The Warco is Taiwanese and much the same as many other "badged" machines on the market, Compare the Axminster WD16f for example - not identical but essentially the same thing
Did Warco ever do machines as cheap as the £250 Axminster model? As Misterfish suggested, I thought they were below the Falco and Meddings, but above the £250 models.

Triggaaar":27ev2ec8 said:
Thanks
misterfish":27ev2ec8 said:
the current version of the Warco is over £400 new
RogerP":27ev2ec8 said:
The Warco is Taiwanese and much the same as many other "badged" machines on the market, Compare the Axminster WD16f for example - not identical but essentially the same thing
Did Warco ever do machines as cheap as the £250 Axminster model? As Misterfish suggested, I thought they were below the Falco and Meddings, but above the £250 models.
I don't know where they fit in the quality stakes and I've never owned a Warco. Looking at the machines on their website they mostly appear to be made from the same Taiwanese/Chinese parts as all the other badge engineers. This is not to say there's anything wrong with them - I have several machines of Taiwanese/Chinese origin and I've been pleased with them. I don't know why Warco are dearer than their close relations - it maybe that they uprate them or have have higher quality control.

RogerP":2o0axsiq said:
I don't know where they fit in the quality stakes and I've never owned a Warco. Looking at the machines on their website they mostly appear to be made from the same Taiwanese/Chinese parts as all the other badge engineers.
I don't really look at Taiwanese and Chinese in the same light, and China seems to pump out a lot of fake and cheap rubbish along with the ok stuff, and I never really thought that was the case with Taiwan.

How about a Chester drill?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140834367154? ... 1423.l2649

Back