Should I bother converting Wadkin AGS 10 to single phase?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Giles

The biggest tool in the box
Reaction score
I bought an AGS10, then an AGS12 came up just around the corner, I have the room for the AGS12 and a 3 phase supply so bought it.

Which leaves me with a nice 3 phase AGS 10 to sell. I have a Wadkin 3hp single phase motor, I've identified the correct size triple pulley that fits the motor, and I have a NVR switch or could fit a contactor.

I'm tempted to completely do it up, I enjoy renovating machines, but I'm time poor at the moment and if I don't extract the digit and get the kitchen refitted soon the missus will go ape.

So do I just flog it as it is, convert it to single phase, or sell it with the kit to convert it?

Decision decisions.....

Cheers
Andy

I would say that only a very small percentage would have access to 3phase, so if it was single phase then you’d open it up to a heck of a lot more potential buyers. Or atleast that’s how i’d see it, having personally ignored adverts of machines that are 3phase immediately

I'd love an AGS, particularly an AGS12 but I don't think it would fit through my door...

Plus Wadkin stuff is never for sale in this area due to machine hoarders, so I'll probably never have a chance.

My observation of most tools and what they sell for is that price is driven up by ease to the average Joe.

If you can convert it single phase, make it all work smoothly, present it well with good photos, provide all parts ie blade/fence/mitre fence, have prearranged transport and provide a cost. If you do all that you’ll command a much higher price, for the AGS 10 it’s likely the difference between selling at 200-300 and selling at 500-600.

Not that I’d been scouring the bay for such a saw at all myself.

Fitz.

I converted mine to 240V, then had sustained frustration with one of Axi's cheap and nasty aluminium skinned motors**. If you do go single phase, get a meaty, proper motor.
Alternatively, I converted a 3ph Naerok drill motor to single with quite easy 'star point' surgery and it sings quite happily all day off a converter I bought cheaply on the indented coastline. Loadsa grunt - even at low speed - and I recommend this route instead of new motor, new mounting holes, new switches, doh!!
Sam

** sneaky capacitor fault; took ages to catch on. :evil:

Thanks guys

I'll order the bits and convert it. Good tips on delivery, just checking with my usual pallet service, Aberdeen is about 90 quid and south wales is about 60 quid. If it wasn't for the fence bars it would be a half pallet height and cheaper still. The pallet company owner is on another forum I frequent, I usually send him pictures of how it's packaged before sending it as most pallet delivery woes are caused by poor palletising.

The motor I have is a "Wadkin" 3hp single phase motor, so more grunt than the standard 2hp AGS10 motor, same speed though. It does mean that it's at the top end of a 13 amp plug's capabilities. As a table saw starts with no load, unlike a compressor, then it may be fine, but could mean a dedicated 16A socket wired into the ring main and changing the MCB from the standard B type to a C type to handle higher inrush currents.

I'll stick it on the forum before going out to the wider world. I'm not intending to make money on this, just get back what I spent. The motor change seems relatively trivial compared to some of the renovations I've done.

Cheers
Andy

Farmer Giles":3nrd0n6v said:
Thanks guys

I'll order the bits and convert it. Good tips on delivery, just checking with my usual pallet service, Aberdeen is about 90 quid and south wales is about 60 quid. If it wasn't for the fence bars it would be a half pallet height and cheaper still. The pallet company owner is on another forum I frequent, I usually send him pictures of how it's packaged before sending it as most pallet delivery woes are caused by poor palletising.

The motor I have is a "Wadkin" 3hp single phase motor, so more grunt than the standard 2hp AGS10 motor, same speed though. It does mean that it's at the top end of a 13 amp plug's capabilities. As a table saw starts with no load, unlike a compressor, then it may be fine, but could mean a dedicated 16A socket wired into the ring main and changing the MCB from the standard B type to a C type to handle higher inrush currents.

I'll stick it on the forum before going out to the wider world. I'm not intending to make money on this, just get back what I spent. The motor change seems relatively trivial compared to some of the renovations I've done.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,
Appreciate this is an old thread and your thinking may have moved on but I would be interested in your AGS if you decide to sell it.
Cheers,
Andy

Sorry for the late reply, I have taken a break from most forums while I caught up on various projects and family matters.

I sold the AGS10 to a member of another forum a couple of months ago, he is very happy with it.

I will be moving the AGS12 on at some point, although I have grown rather attached to it. Once I have a PK up and running I'll take stock.

I'm thinking of just getting one working with no renovation, so just a mechanical check over, probably the one with the DC brake given they were working daily when I bought them. Then fully renovating the other, then swapping over and doing the other one. I'm running out of space for 3 big saws!

I've nearly finished the kitchen, once that is done I'll start moving them about.

Sorry for the late reply, I have taken a break from most forums while I caught up on various projects and family matters.

I sold the AGS10 to a member of another forum a couple of months ago, he is very happy with it.

I will be moving the AGS12 on at some point, although I have grown rather attached to it. Once I have a PK up and running I'll take stock.

I'm thinking of just getting one working with no renovation, so just a mechanical check over, probably the one with the DC brake given they were working daily when I bought them. Then fully renovating the other, then swapping over and doing the other one. I'm running out of space for 3 big saws!

I've nearly finished the kitchen, once that is done I'll start moving them about.
Hello
I'm new to the forum so please excuse me if its out of court to jump in and ask about buying a machine. I am keen to get hold of an AGS10 or 12. If you have anything available still I'd be very Interested. I haven't done a refurb before but not afraid of doing work on a saw myself. I don't want to Jump in in front of AndrewS though if he is still wanting one :)
I am feeling rather peeved because I travelled 200 miles yesterday to collect a refurb Wadkin that I had bought on ebay only to find it being loaded onto someone elses van! The "individual" who sold it to me had sold it twice...thankfully I haven't lost any cash (apart from the cost to travel for a day)

Latest posts

Back