shopmade liquid hide glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noho12C

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

looking for some info from experienced liquid hide glue users/makers.

I quite like using liquid hide glue on my projects, and bought some dried pearls to make my own. I found a "recipe" from Mortice&Tenon publisher which seems to be a "standard" recipe : glue, water and salt.

However, im a bit confused regarding the time you can store it. My understanding is that hot glue can be kept few days before turning bad, while liquid hide glue can be stored longer. The thing is that i cannot find any reliable info on this. Some say you can keep it few months, others say it goes bad after few days.

Old brown glue and Titebond has shelf life of few months, but i guess they had some products to prevent it turning bad.

If everyone has some experience with home made liquid hide glue, i'll be more than happy to read about it !

Cheers,
Chris

pearls can be kept for around 6 months if juyst left in a bag or tub. vacuum seal I have kept for a year wiyh no probs. what you are looking for is basically if it has started to smell foosty then you can still use it but it just not nice to. but if it is a little gaggy when heated then bin it

Ttrees":1ojv17ve said:
Here is a few videos for some interesting watching that I've only seen recently.
Patrick Edward's on the subject.
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/03 ... -hide-glue
Yes, watched those already. Good info, but mainly on hot glue (would need to invest in some kind of pot, and hot glue isn't as easy/straightforward than liquid hide glue, eg the part are to be warmed if the shop is too cold, etc)
Bit a good watch nonetheless !

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Droogs":3r0vfqhq said:
pearls can be kept for around 6 months if juyst left in a bag or tub. vacuum seal I have kept for a year wiyh no probs. what you are looking for is basically if it has started to smell foosty then you can still use it but it just not nice to. but if it is a little gaggy when heated then bin it
In a dry form you can keep them indefinitely. As long as they don't get wet by moisture etc

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Perhaps what you are after is fish glue. It has all the properties of hide glue but it is used cold ( in the winter it does need warming in a bowl of hot water) It has a shelf life of 10 years too. It also has a very long open time so very good for complicated glue ups. I get mine from this company in Germany. https://www.kremer-pigmente.com/en/medi ... /fish-glue
Going back to the hide glue, when I make a fresh batch I let it cook gently in the glue pot for the whole day, this has the effect of sterilising it so I don't have any problems with mould growing on it even if it is left for weeks without using it.

Back