Shop vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed9888

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a good shop vac, I have a small shop, I have a budget of £200 any help or recommendations would be great
Peter

Just make sure your bin under the cyclone is strong and doesn't collapse. Metal is best but seal it well. Strong plastic will also work. Or just build a box it of MDF or ply or OSB.

These will only be good for have held power tools like circular saws or Sanders. For table saw and the like your need a different kind of dust extraction.

What machines do you have?

Thank you so much for replying, my tiny shop is 14 x 8 ft, so everything needs tucking away, I have all the common hand power tools, I'm just about to start on the collapsible router table, and father Christmas is bringing me a tabletop saw, I thought about piping the shop extraction wise, but then thought a mobile one, shop vac, cyclone and barrel can be moved around according to what I'm using at the time

like a contractor type saw? in my opinion youll want more than a shop vac for that, the only chance you got keeping it half tidy is by using both ports, normally the back is 2.5" and 30mm for the bade hood on those.

I have one of these, going for £110: Stanley FatMax SXFVC35PTDE 1600W 35Ltr Wet / Dry Vacuum 220-240V

Added bonus is the plug on the machine that powers tools (although wattage of this plug is a bit low for saws) but works well.

As my shop is only 9' by 6', I have now actually build a little add-on shed for the vac itself, and just have the pipe coming through the wall, but this means I can't use the outgoing plug on the vac itself anymore (solved by using a master/slave vac switch-box)

I was planning on doing similar for the router table one under and one on the fence
the problem with shop vacs is they are great at the diametre hose they come with, but as you convert the small hose to a bigger outlet, as well as branching it, they become a bit useless. Im a bit far away from you but if you were closer you could see how quiet the laguna is, its more than enough for the application youre looking for and very quiet

Hi and thank you,
the problem with shop vacs is they are great at the diametre hose they come with, but as you convert the small hose to a bigger outlet, as well as branching it, they become a bit useless. Im a bit far away from you but if you were closer you could see how quiet the laguna is, its more than enough for the application youre looking for and very quiet
Hi thank you, god that brought back memories as a child my father was in the Army and we were stationed at corsham with 26 field artillery i have heard that they loose suction power in the way that you have explained

Lidl Parkside one here. Are usually £60, try and get one with power take off (start a tool and it starts the vac, mine doesn't and it's far more annoying than I thought it would be when I started out). Good solid vac for the price.
I also have a (second hand) record power, this one here: DX1000 Fine Filter 45 Litre Extractor
A better machine in it's way, atm it's fitted with a reducer but it has the capacity to collect more waste. Be ok for occasional router use. For a planer thicknesser it would be overwhelmed without some other cyclone type add on or a much bigger unit. There's lots of guys who are expert in dust/waste collection systems and I won't pretend to know what I'm about but for nearly all hand held tools I believe you're better off with a vac (and a cyclone system to save on bags etc). On top of that, an air filter seems to be a good idea in a small shed with no serious extraction.
It's not recommended but up to recently I've used the lidl and then opened up the shed doors and turned on a big screwfix fan to get rid of the invisible micro nasties for 10 minutes while I vacate. I'm getting there slowly but I still have an amount of fine settling dust that ideally I'd like to solve.
Next step is sound dampening box with wheels and a cyclone dust deputy for some sweet aural relief.
:sneaky:
I said aural!

I need a good shop vac, I have a small shop, I have a budget of £200 any help or recommendations would be great
Peter
Vacuum cleaners of all types, including Henrys, often come up on Freegle & Free Cycle
- Northampton Freegle

Haven't posted Free Cycle links because there seems to be three for your area.

Henrys are compact & one of the quietest cleaners but they don't have a power take off socket to plug your tool into.

A budget of £200 you can get something propa.
I also have the vac and blue bin / cyclone set up on a mobile stand I made up.
Does me fine with the extra long hoses.
I only use on mitre saw and few other bits.

I did use on a thicknesser for a while and this struggled as that definitely requires bigger diameter chip extraction.

I've just brought a rexon df1000a which I'm putting outside the garage in a pit of sorts along with my air compressor. That way the fine dust will end up outside and not in my lungs.

Not that I'm into big machinery but if I do want to use the table saw and PT it should do the job!

Cheers James

I did use on a thicknesser for a while and this struggled as that definitely requires bigger diameter chip extraction.

This is why the Triton Thicknesser annoys me. It has a long extraction port but they supply a cover that has a tiny outlet on it, 50mm iirc.

Check out the Nilfisk Vacs with power take off. They're around £120. Great vacs and parts available too. I have some of these and also some class M ones. Buy the Class M vacs if you can stretch to it. Use vacs with a cyclone or thein baffle (easy to make) to save having to buy dustbags and to go a longer time between emptying.

Last edited:
Back