shop around.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everbuild D4; great wood glue
Can be bought on eBay, one litre for £10 post paid

edit -- on eBay just seen 3 one litre D4 for £24 includes P & P

I am once again in the market for some D4 adhesive and shocked at the prices. It does make you wonder whether some retailers are price gouging. How can Toolstation justify £14.29? Last time I purchased from them in 2017 it was £6.51.

A quick search on eBay, eroofing, including P&P:
£8.99 for 1
£6.66 each for 6
£6.00 each for 12

I have been "shopping around" today for a mortice chisel. I have been to 6 tool shops. Not found a single mortice chisel. 2 or 3 shops had a decent selection of Narex chisels and I almost bought one of their dovetail chisels as a consolation prize but I couldn't find what I wanted at any price.

I am once again in the market for some D4 adhesive and shocked at the prices. It does make you wonder whether some retailers are price gouging. How can Toolstation justify £14.29? Last time I purchased from them in 2017 it was £6.51.

A quick search on eBay, eroofing, including P&P:
£8.99 for 1
£6.66 each for 6
£6.00 each for 12

I'd bet a lot of these retailers have automatic price/data management systems to keep things in stock (being out of stock is as toxic as having high prices, or even worse).

Amazon is a good illustration of why you can't assume anyone has a fair price. Everything more than a few bucks is worth a quick google search or ebay search for link throughs from sellers using drop shipping/fulfillment groups.

Out of curiosity, I searched for OSS (sanders) this morning as I didn't want to pay $225 for the ridgid a few years ago and realized as a hand tooler, I needed a router for templates (rather wanted) and an OSS because the guitar designs were made to work with a pin router. Doing them by hand is kind of dippy. Many of the same sander sold for $200-$300 (The wen type) depending on the label. Grizzly here in the US loves to take something HF makes and charge 50% more for it, but hey, they do have "non-competitive advertising arrangement" on one of the US forums that allows posts that complain about service to be locked and disappear into oblivion. My opinion, at least (except for the fact that the non-competitive environment is part of the TOS terms on that forum and if someone relays an experience about a vendor and another person says they've had the same, that's deemed as "piling on", and the thread will be locked).

Back