Shooting Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I have just posted a new album called shooting boards. Please have a quick look. If you use a shooting board please feel free to post a pic.

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/shootingboard.msnw

I have recently re-discovered this jig from under the workbench as I was unhappy with the finish I have been getting when crosscutting pieces on my chopsaw and sliding table saw. It allows you to easily, accurately and quickly clean up pieces at 90 degrees. Obviously, you can make up jigs for any angle.
Do you use a jig like this? If so let me know of any hints or tips.
regards,
Philly

Hey up, Philly.

Yep, I use a shooting board alot. Got two in fact, but no pics 'cos they ain't exactly photogenic. One is slightly ramped, a bit like the one on Jeff Gorman's site and the other is just a glorified bench hook really. In fact it's designed to double as a support for long stuff cut on the proper bench hook. I'm not sure the ramped version is really worth the hassle of making it, but it does spread the wear on the blade a bit, and the entry into the cut isn't quite such a jolt. My L-N low angle smoother sees most of its work lying on its side on a shooting board, and it's very good at the job.

For some different shooting board plans, try my website. Quite large files I'm afraid, so download time is a little slow for dial-up users.

Cheers, Alf

Tony,
The plane in the pics is a Clifton #5-handles of made of Bubinga. They sure look pretty.
regards,
Philly

Back