Shooting Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I made one at last.

Managed over 5 hours in the workshop today. This is the longest single stint I have managed in at least 2 years.

Apart from a lot of clearing up from an almost complete greenhouse project I managed to make one of these.
The design is as per Alf's excellent thread of a while back.

shootweb.jpg

It may have taken me some hours to build but then I do not have one of those mythical off cuts box that some of the jig meisters seem to have on hand. All my off cuts seem to be about 12" long an good for very little.

As this is my first ever shooting board I decided not to glue anything in case I need to redesign or adjust.. The screws may little unsightly but I was not happy screwing into the thinner piece of wood as would have been the case if I went from underneath. The base is 3/4" birch ply with 1/2" for the upper board. I've no idea what the stop is made from but was part of an old door frame.

I tried using it held between the bench dogs but found this uncomfortable. I settled on an angled batten underneath that will be held in the front vice.

I am not so sure that the LA smoother is the most comfortable plane to be used in this way but I am pleased with the results so far.

I also threw together a fence for the jack plane ( the longest plane I have, at the moment). Getting the rear clamp in place on the jack plane there was not much room for my hand. It was much more comfortable, and easier to attach, on the LA smoother.

164fenceweb.jpg

It looks a bit Heath-Robinsonish but it is surprisingly well balanced. I do not have the nerve (nor skills) to have this bolted directly to the plane sides so will have to make do with the clamps.

164fence2.jpg

On this piece of 5/8ths oak it made a far better job of keeping the edge square than I would I have managed without it. I am sure it will be even easier to use on wider boards.

I intend to use that oak on the forthcoming comp it is quarter sawn and has some stunning medullar rays that must be suitable for something.

After all those hours in the workshop my hands are shot to pieces, I must remember to use barrier cream BEFORE my skin starts to split.

Andy
[/img][/url]

Andy,

Well done, two useful additions to the workshop. :D
dedee":1mes1idr said:
It looks a bit Heath-Robinsonish
Don't knock him, I work with him a lot, lots of very useable stuff prompted by his ideas. :wink:

dedee":1udbpkeo said:
Managed over 5 hours in the workshop today. This is the longest single stint I have managed in at least 2 years.
\:D/

Coo, that's smart. Makes mine look very pedestrian - might have to make another one now...

All my off cuts seem to be about 12" long an good for very little.
12"?! Those aren't off-cuts - that's my stock! :lol:

I've no idea what the stop is made from but was part of an old door frame.
It's what all the best people are using this season :wink:

I also threw together a fence for the jack plane ( the longest plane I have, at the moment).
Cool. What you need are some small G/C-clamps or fret clamps, I think. Less bulky.

Cheers, Alf

5 hours Andy - things are definitely looking up!

For your jointer fence, you can get small G cramps that will be a lot neater. They only need to be cramped to one side of the plane rather than right across it - I think a certain DIY place near you has them.

Chris/Alf,
I did try using smaller G clamps but found there was not enough height on the inside of the plane side to get a good purchase especially at the back.

I'll have a look to see if I can find some better clamps.

Andy

Nice work Andy, and a good choice of plane to use on it too - I use mine almost exlcusively on the shooting board

Barry,
I've been meaning to get some of those magnets for some time. Maybe this is the excuse I need.

Tony, I found using the 164 just a little awkward how/where do you hold yours when shooting?

Andy

mudman":3dznq6tp said:
I'm currently overawed with the power of rare-earth magnets. They are truly awesome. Recess a couple of these into your fence and I'm pretty sure you could dispense with the clamps.
I think you might need something to stop the fence sliding backwards if you went the magnetic way - judging by the Veritas one. :-k

I use the #164 on the shooting board a good deal too, like this fwiw:
lasmoothershooting.jpg

Although thinking about it, the Veritas lever cap is a bit more friendly in that regard - not sure if I've got a decent pic of the #164 in use. It's pretty similar though.

Cheers, Alf

ok so i down loaded alf's file, and thought "do you make one for either side"
i.e, do you keep the plank on the same face and plane both sides by having made a left and right hand shooting board?

oh yes i want one for my LN mitre plane! :wink:
paul

engineer one":19kyaf1w said:
ok so i down loaded alf's file, and thought "do you make one for either side"
i.e, do you keep the plank on the same face and plane both sides by having made a left and right hand shooting board?
You could, but generally it's not worth the bother. Any accuracy you gain is probably lost in using your non-dominant hand to shoot on the other side. Unless you're ambidextrous, I s'pose... :-k

engineer one":19kyaf1w said:
oh yes i want one for my LN mitre plane! :wink:
paul
Hotdog?

Cheers, Alf

greetings on St Georges' Day to you also Alf.

trying not to gloat too much about the mitre plane :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , just thought why not have a plane which is designed to be flat and easy to
use on either side????

and of course i had to have had a reason for visit the axminster
show for the first and maybe last time last november.

the value of the design is that of course the blade is designed to be
ground flat, so maybe it will make the shooting board even more fun :lol: :lol:

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back