shooting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacms

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Right, I think the time has come to accept I need a shooting board. I have watched several youtube videos but what makes a good one from a bad one is still unclear to me. Does anyone has good recommendations for a set of plans I could use?

Don't overthink it. I'm still using a bit of MFC and some softwood offcuts screwed on. Maybe one day I'll get round to making something "better" but so far it's been good enough.

scooby":66qiem5k said:
Whats makes a good one?
In my opinion:
1. Easy to make
2. Accurate and allows adjustment if accuracy is slightly out.
3. Versatility

I made one ages ago following this video and its been great. Ideally you need a vice but you can always screw/cramp it to your bench.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYJhfChDdM

That is actually an interesting design and quite unique in a way. I don't have a vice but do have a planing stop so you should still work need to clamp the opposite end and should still work. My only concern would be that the "tenon" where the dado stop fits would become loose over time. But then I guess you could just make a new fence?

Bacms":ad19ofpe said:
Right, I think the time has come to accept I need a shooting board. I have watched several youtube videos but what makes a good one from a bad one is still unclear to me. Does anyone has good recommendations for a set of plans I could use?
Easy; this one. I've built loads over the decades and this one is the best by a couple of light years - Rob

Latest posts

Back