Shooting board plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":10zjs4rt said:
We all know what the tool fetishist collective thinks too. I could argue that you should all just shut up and indulge your obsessions in private, between consenting adults!

Come now, Jacob. While you continually indulge and obsess, publicly, over what others prefer to purchase?

"Its not about the tools"..........seems it is for you in one way or another...

All the best: Lie Clifton Veritasboi :mrgreen:

There are only two ways, Jacobs way and the wrong way :wink:

Pete

"No one is interested. Do not feed the troll."....dry!

You know, off the back of the sentiment above, a thought just struck me. Jacob DOES do some nice work and I'm on record as posting here that he does. But. Jacob? WHERE do you find the time to initiate and sustain so many 'flame wars'?? And, WHY?

Rounded bevels (surely a paradigm?)
Shiney designer tools
Sharpening guides
et al...

As someone said (BB p'r'aps) what does it matter what way you do things, or what with, so long as the end product is functional, aesthetically or visually pleasing and robust enough to discharge its intended use? To mis-paraphrase Mae West: "Life is too short to peel an angle"

Sam, bemused.

SammyQ":122pcypx said:
"No one is interested. Do not feed the troll."....dry!

You know, off the back of the sentiment above, a thought just struck me. Jacob DOES do some nice work and I'm on record as posting here that he does. But. Jacob? WHERE do you find the time to initiate and sustain so many 'flame wars'?? And, WHY?

Rounded bevels (surely a paradigm?)
Shiney designer tools
Sharpening guides
et al...

As someone said (BB p'r'aps) what does it matter what way you do things, or what with, so long as the end product is functional, aesthetically or visually pleasing and robust enough to discharge its intended use? To mis-paraphrase Mae West: "Life is too short to peel an angle"

Sam, bemused.
Why? I just say what I think. I realise that some find it annoying but, er, so what!
Rounded bevels - I found quick and easy way to sharpen. Paul Sellers does it the same way and a lot of others do too. And it was fairly normal in the past. The only interesting thing about it is the shocked and horrified reaction! No reason to keep it secret, quite the opposite in fact.
Designer tools - not that bothered - the climate has changed - the fan base was really over the top a few years back but it's more moderate now and ordinary tools get the respect they deserve. I do find the wheezes and wangles of the trad workers with their inadequate tools, far more interesting than the world of gadgetry and brass knobs.
There was a strict orthodoxy about things a bit back and a lot of forelock pulling to the various gurus. I'm not sure why. It's changing - that's good.

I think you have perhaps missed your vocation jacob....Monastic orders might have suited you very well.............

I work hard for my money and I like to spend some of it on things that are beautifully made by craftsmen and women, that delight in the touch , the feel, the use and the sound. Sure, they don't have to be a Ferrari etc, but generally, in life, the finer things cost more. A Ford fiesta will get you there same an Enzo, but the experience will be quite different. That said, I can get as much pleasure from walking my dogs on a deserted beach first thing in the morning, but you simply cannot argue with quality and beauty of a well designed and executed object. I don't like bling myself, or ostentation for the sake of it, but put a Purdey shotgun or a Holtey plane in your hand and tell me that it does not move you.............One of My other hobbies is collecting ancient Japanese swords. These were artisan items, beautifully made by hand, from a humble lump of steel and had a deadly purpose. But they were also art and today have a huge value specifically for the craftsmanship and skill that went into their making. It's the same with fine tools.

I can think of a lot more interesting things to spend money than woodwork tools and Japanese swords - all the "top" end stuff being made only for collectors anyway. Remember the Stirling Collection? - they used to advertise a lot in the sunday papers "precision die cast models of famous steam engines " etc etc. Same sort of thing.
My mother in law had a huge collection of beautifully made sewing thimbles. They were made for collectors too.

And no - a Purdey shotgun or a Holtey plane in my hand would not move me at all, believe it or not!

PS I use to collect stamps when I was little. A brilliant introduction to graphic design, history, geography etc. but you have to move on!

Ah, so you have an issue with collectors. Interesting that you have an issue with their, issue. Time to move on maybe.

Jacob":ym9ukdjr said:
I can think of a lot more interesting things to spend money than woodwork tools and Japanese swords

I would be very interested in hearing what some of your chosen items might be?

To properly understand what is going on when threads take this turn, I recommend reading The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha Part 1.

In your mind substitute Jacob for Sancho Panza and yourself for Alonso Quijano. Woodwork magazines for chivalric novels and well - made tools for armour and weaponry. (Especially honing guides and swords with socks on).

Toward the end of part 1, Sancho Panza restrains 'Don Quixote' (for his own good) and with the help of his household burns all his woodwork books and sells his blingy tools for fear that he will go tilting at windmills again.

Just a thought.

Anyway .... shooting planes ...

Richard T":226rtb07 said:
Just a thought.

Thanks for that thought - one of the many books I've not got round to reading, but when I do, at least I'll know what the subtext is!

Cheerio,

Carl

Richard T":39oxx9bk said:
To properly understand what is going on when threads take this turn, I recommend reading The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha Part 1.

Or alternatively read Auguste Rodin:

"The ignorant and indifferent destroy beautiful things merely by looking at them."

BugBear

Richard T":12vqaip0 said:

In your mind substitute Jacob for Sancho Panza and yourself for Alonso Quijano. Woodwork magazines for chivalric novels and well - made tools for armour and weaponry. (Especially honing guides and swords with socks on).

Toward the end of part 1, Sancho Panza restrains 'Don Quixote' (for his own good) and with the help of his household burns all his woodwork books and sells his blingy tools for fear that he will go tilting at windmills again.

Just a thought.

:lol:
Spot on! Fantasy tools for imaginary woodwork.
The problem is that the LN LV offerings are on the verge of value for money so there is ambiguity (do I need one as a woodworker not as a collector?) which you don't have with say Holtey planes which are another thing altogether.

Jacob, I think of you as Geoff Boycott. Opinionated and frequently right. I can't get offended at your statements of fact even if I disagree.

Just as Boycott Bingo has swept the nation...so should Jacob Bingo.

Eyes down for a full house...rounded bevels, Paul Sellers, sharpening guides, frog positioning, mortising with dovetail chisels, brass knobs, oil stones, reverse engineering old cabinet work...

I am in no way denigrating Jacob's work...he is a much better woodworker than I will ever be...just a little ribbing in the style of Jonathan Agnew.

PeterBassett":3l8un0de said:
Jacob":3l8un0de said:
I can think of a lot more interesting things to spend money than woodwork tools and Japanese swords

I would be very interested in hearing what some of your chosen items might be?
Nothing out of the ordinary - high heel shoes, back copies of the Beano, rubber gloves, other odds and ends.

Jacob":3ds6jyor said:
Nothing out of the ordinary - high heel shoes, back copies of the Beano, rubber gloves, other odds and ends.

You forgot to mention your brown paper bag collection. :lol: :wink:

We didn't get a genuine answer, what a surprise. Perfectly willing to weigh in with your, unsolicited, opinions on the spending habits of others, but not to have your own commented on. Weak.

PeterBassett":126mktpm said:
We didn't get a genuine answer, what a surprise. Perfectly willing to weigh in with your, unsolicited, opinions on the spending habits of others, but not to have your own commented on. Weak.
If you bothered to read the thread you will see that I had already answered; the most extravagant thing I have bought recently was a nice push bike. Bugbear seemed to think it had some bearing on the topic but I don't see it myself. Feel free to comment.
Anyway the thread was about planes, not spending habits. It's not just about the shopping!

Latest posts

Back