Shooting board plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbrains

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It seems Veritas are soon to introduce a shooting board plane, similar to the Lie Nielsen 51, but cheaper, Looks good for dedicated shooters with a bit of cash to spend. About $330 though heaven knows what that will be in pounds when they come over here.

Mike.

Vann":27keixbc said:
In LH as well as RH?

Cheers, Vann.

Do you know, I didn't think to check, but Lee Valley generally do handed planes in both as a matter of course, so I suspect so. I'll have a look further.

Mike.

Hello,

Philly planes, as usual are really nice. I think end grain shooting is hard on wooden plane soles, though. I have made some before (though not as nice as the Philly one here) but ended up epoxying a sole plate made from an old handsaw, to keep it from locally hollowing.

The Veritas one here hasn't been released for sale yet, so I cannot find much about it regarding LH version. I strongly suspect it will, though. The blade is skewed, but also angled on the bed, so only requires honing at 90 deg like a regular plane (it uses its standard LA jack plane blade). There is also a chisel plane to be released, too.

Mike.

woodbrains":3j314vot said:
Vann":3j314vot said:
In LH as well as RH?

Cheers, Vann.

Do you know, I didn't think to check, but Lee Valley generally do handed planes in both as a matter of course, so I suspect so. I'll have a look further.

Mike.
They are bound to! That way they can sell two astronomically expensive novelty planes which nobody needs, instead of just one. :lol: :lol:
NB if you feel the need for an opposite handed shooting plane it's cheaper just to turn the board around the other way.

Jacob":4i1w7tl5 said:
woodbrains":4i1w7tl5 said:
Vann":4i1w7tl5 said:
In LH as well as RH?

Cheers, Vann.

Mike.
They are bound to! That way they can sell two astronomically expensive novelty planes which nobody needs, instead of just one. :lol: :lol:
NB if you feel the need for an opposite handed shooting plane it's cheaper just to turn the board around the other way.

Unless of course you're shooting mitres on mouldings
(Just to get in before Bugbear:)

Has anybody ever used a chisel plane, and if so, what for?

(I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely puzzled about what such a plane can do that can't be done just as well with a paring chisel.)

Cheshirechappie":1zxar2v8 said:

(I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely puzzled about what such a plane can do that can't be done just as well with a paring chisel.)

Yes, primarily for smoothing out glue lines, trimming into corners and as shelf decoration, but you definitely need to maintain downward pressure on the back as they can tend to nose dive into your work if you're not careful.

Rob has stated he will be making a left handed version for the south paws out there. He actually was not going to make a left hand but there was a lot of requests for it so with a bit of persuading he decided to go ahead. The RH version is due in stores mid to late August with the LH version to follow around October. He has also recently said there will be an introductory price offer starting at $299.00 (O1 blade) and $315 (PMV11 blade).

All this info has come right from the horses mouth from his postings on another forum from N. America...

Apparently the specs for the new plane are as follows for those interested...

Some shooting plane stats:
• Length: 15-7/8”
• Base width: 2-1/8” (to fit Stanley #52 shooting board)
• Blade: 2-1/4” wide, bevel up, 25° bevel angle. O1 or PM-V11. All of our standard 2-1/4” bevel up blades will fit this plane.
• Bed: 12° bed angle, skewed 20°
• Blade Adjustment: Typical Veritas “Norris” type adjuster, three set screws to precisely locate the blade, and rock the blade forward/back to adjust square
• Mouth opening: adjustable toe piece with adjuster screw
• Weight: 7-3/4 lbs
• Rear tote: adjustable for angle. Plane can be used with the blade down for jointing.

GazPal":1jlv79il said:
Cheshirechappie":1jlv79il said:

Yes, primarily for smoothing out glue lines, trimming into corners and as shelf decoration, but you definitely need to maintain downward pressure on the back as they can tend to nose dive into your work if you're not careful.

I take the point about shelf decoration (!), but a chisel plane still seems to be a bit of a luxury. I do my glue-line and into-the-corner trimming with a dog-leg carving chisel - not ideal, a patternmaker's crank-handle paring chisel would be better, and most work would be possible with a normal chisel used bevel-down with a bit of care. But the dog-leg takes up less space in the tool-chest, and for the amount of use it gets, I can't really justify a fancier tool.

Still, each to their own! If someone prefers to shell out for a chisel plane, who am I to tell them they shouldn't!

Cheshirechappie":1t2dzx1z said:
GazPal":1t2dzx1z said:
Cheshirechappie":1t2dzx1z said:

I take the point about shelf decoration (!), but a chisel plane still seems to be a bit of a luxury. I do my glue-line and into-the-corner trimming with a dog-leg carving chisel - not ideal, a patternmaker's crank-handle paring chisel would be better, and most work would be possible with a normal chisel used bevel-down with a bit of care. But the dog-leg takes up less space in the tool-chest, and for the amount of use it gets, I can't really justify a fancier tool.

Still, each to their own! If someone prefers to shell out for a chisel plane, who am I to tell them they shouldn't!

Depends on whether or not you'd buy one. I inherited mine and it spends most of it's time gathering dust. :lol:

A cheaper easier alternative for that sort of trimming task would just be to use a plane blade on its own, flat side down, wouldn't it? Fingertip grip would be surely be good enough for such delicate work.
And everybody has one!

Jacob":2al8casl said:
woodbrains":2al8casl said:
Vann":2al8casl said:
In LH as well as RH?

Cheers, Vann.

Mike.

Hello,

For the quality of these planes, I do not think they are astronomically expensive at all. Whether there is a use for them in everyone's tool kit, is another question, but I for one think a dedicated shooting plane would be a boon. Regular planes can work to a point, but they are not as well suited to the task as some would like. They can be quite uncomfortable to use for a prolonged session. So although I cannot find an immediate need for a chisel plane, I quite understand if someone does.

More than 50% of the human population get on perfectly well without testicles, but are quite happy for the rest who find them indispensable. We should all be glad these wonderful tools are made, whether we use them or not, they are not gimmicks if they have a use for someone. I quite like owning a left and a right one. :lol:

Mike

woodbrains":3fcltw38 said:
More than 50% of the human population get on perfectly well without testicles, but are quite happy for the rest who find them indispensable. We should all be glad these wonderful tools are made, whether we use them or not, they are not gimmicks if they have a use for someone. I quite like owning a left and a right one. :lol:

Mike
Matt black with a brass knob and a sock? Hmm so that's what it's all about. :roll:

Jacob":rwbwj470 said:
Matt black with a brass knob and a sock? Hmm so that's what it's all about. :roll:

Have you been spying on me? My standard work shop attire on hot days like these.

Mike.

Jacob, are you still singing that tune? .......it's real simple..some people with disposable income like to buy nice things. They may not need them really, they may only use them now and again. But it makes them happy and they enjoy the feel and pleasure of something really well made and designed.

Just because you don't "get it" personally ( and each to their own, its your perogative..) why do you feel the need to constantly make the same comment over and over, everytime something similar is discussed here. I think we all know what you feel on the subject by now.....

if we all thought like you then the world would be a duller place.....no Bentleys, Ferraris, Rolex, beautiful clothes, or fine wines....I could go on....

markturner":14z4bjxa said:
Jacob, are you still singing that tune? .......it's real simple..some people with disposable income like to buy nice things. They may not need them really, they may only use them now and again. But it makes them happy and they enjoy the feel and pleasure of something really well made and designed.

Just because you don't "get it" personally ( and each to their own, its your perogative..) why do you feel the need to constantly make the same comment over and over, everytime something similar is discussed here. I think we all know what you feel on the subject by now.....
We all know what the tool fetishist collective thinks too. I could argue that you should all just shut up and indulge your obsessions in private, between consenting adults!
if we all thought like you then the world would be a duller place.....no Bentleys, Ferraris, Rolex, beautiful clothes, or fine wines....I could go on....
Well for a start Bentleys, Ferraris, Rolex, do nothing for me and are utterly devoid of interest. If I had one I would sell it on immediately and spend the money on something more interesting.
Come to think I've done that with novelty tools - I've bought (and sold) a few to see if they are worth the dosh (in woodworking terms) and decided they are definitely not.

markturner":2f63cg7y said:

Actually, Jacob does buy nice, pricy things for his own hobbies, but appears repeatedly insists that other people shouldn't do this when their hobby is woodwork.

BugBear

bugbear":13hp7atz said:
markturner":13hp7atz said:

Actually, Jacob does buy nice, pricy things for his own hobbies, but appears repeatedly insists that other people shouldn't do this when their hobby is woodwork.

BugBear
BB dipping in to the Grimsdale archive again! :lol: :lol: He's referring to a moderately expensive bicycle I bought a couple of years ago (mid range £1300 not top price by any means) and it's not blingy at all!
I certainly don't insist that other people shouldn't do this but I do think it's interesting to look closely at value for money.

Back