shiplap coverage maths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been asked to provide a quote to cover the exterior walls of a local community centre of a nearby village. The construction is one of those world war 2 corrugated huts. The semi circle ones. My job is to re-cover the ends with shiplap. It measures 7.5m wide and 3.8m at its highest point. This works out nearly 24m squared. The problem I'm haveing is if a board is 125mm and 4.5m long, how much do I need? And how much should I allow for wastage? I think 2 lengths should cover nearly 1m squared. Does that mean I would need 48 lengths? thanks in advance for any advice.
Mark

I normally allow 10% for wastage so 54 lengths

ETA working out 4.5 x 0.110 = 0.495
24 divide by 0.495 =48.48
48.48 + 10% = 53.32

wallace":315os3l0 said:
Hi all, I have been asked to provide a quote to cover the exterior walls of a local community centre of a nearby village. The construction is one of those world war 2 corrugated huts. The semi circle ones. My job is to re-cover the ends with shiplap. It measures 7.5m wide and 3.8m at its highest point. This works out nearly 24m squared. The problem I'm haveing is if a board is 125mm and 4.5m long, how much do I need? And how much should I allow for wastage? I think 2 lengths should cover nearly 1m squared. Does that mean I would need 48 lengths? thanks in advance for any advice.
Mark

Having done my barn, and a large chicken shed last year in shiplap the answer is more than you think! Obviously you have to allow for the overlap of the lap itself, but also it's amazing how often the board isn't quite long enough to reach the next stud that you have to fix to, and also it looks naff if the boards are only one or two stud spacings long - more wastage.

I strongly recommend making a pair of shiplap horses. These temporarily screw into your previous board and support both ends of the board you are working on. It not only ensures even spacing but allows you to work single handed.

Latest posts

Back