Shield Perspex / Acetate 1.2m wide (ish) x 1m high

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynnwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

My son got called back into work today with 24 hours notice. A car showroom.

It transpires that I need to build a shield for his desk, and quickly.

The frame is not a problem.

Can anyone recommend (anything) that I can get my hands on within 24 hours please? Perspex or Acetate or ...

I can't trust abayer to deliver within 24 hours, so would appreciate any input/recs.

Polycarb - very tough, not very scratch resistant, generally not as optically clear as
Perspex which is a trade name for acrylic. Quite brittle, resistant to many chemicals.

Either would do - but his boss should provide suitable protection.

Boots shops are using cardboard frames with a plastic film. I suppose they'll work as long as they're not subjected to mechanical abuse.

Duncan

If I were the employer I would want to provide them for 2 reasons, one is my duty of care and the other is if every employee provides their own to their own design my showroom will look a bit like a shanty town - they won't all be skilled screen-builders.

But needs must, not all employers are sensible or responsible and some who look like employers aren't because they hide behind self employed/commission only 'agents' instead of staff so it would be presumptuous to judge your son's circumstances. It's to be cough and splutter proof, not bank-teller grade assault proof so thin perspex will do.

I read this in my sitting rooms thinking what would I do if I really really really had to get some sort of temporary screen very quickly. Then my eyes landed on some picture frames on the wall. 50x70, so 4 give the size you want, if you could get 80 x 60 then 2 might do. Photo frames these days are 'glazed' with perspex. So if nothing better turns up a trip to a big Tesco with an in store photo dept, or similar might give you what you need. Or just rob your walls ......

Not ideal I know but maybe an option if all else fails.

2 shops i frequent on an industrial estate,

nut and bolt shop has a glass shower door, and sandwich shop has an old full glazed fridge door

Adidat

Any of the DIY sheds sell polycarbonate glazing in various sizes. Probably your best bet, having just received some acrylic myself, the main suppliers seem to have all stopped next day deliveries and are on 10-15 day turnaround. Mine took 13 days.

Simple wooden frame and some clingfilm stretched across it.

In a few months it will be in the bin once this madness ends.

Clingfilm is very flimsy, but thick polythene sheet, as sold for damp proofing, can be wrapped round and taped or trapped between battens. You can then go over it with a hair drier and it will shrink up tight. This is actually available as a kit for diy secondary glazing. Clear enough to see somebody, not clear enough to read newsprint through, but possibly easy to find in stock.

Thank you all very much. My son's employer has promised screen protection by the weekend.

If that doesn't happen, he will be taking mine in on Sunday.

I hope some Manager does not then say; "That screen you have brought in is not pleasing/acceptable to the business" or, similar corporate nonsense.

As a side note, I remember going to a Top 4 Supermarket in early March and saying to the checkout lady; "It's good to see you have eventually been given gloves".

Her response; "No, we have to buy our own".

Thank you again for all the suggestions.

Hope they deliver. Good luck.

I think the screens will be with us for a long time, maybe permanent. In most places like supermarket cash tills it makes no difference to the customer and we've got used to it in Banks, Post Offices, train ticket offices etc. for years albeit for security reasons. No sure how I would feel about trying to negotiate a car deal through a screen, but no reason why it won't work.

If I were running a car showroom, I would be tempted to have car windscreen themed screens, or maybe even real car windscreens, to make it memorable (& as fun as it can be) for customers. A wrap around off a classic knock-your-knees* Cresta stood on a wooden plinth would set off the desk beautifully.

The late 50's PA Vauxhall Cresta, so called because the wrap around screen and door hinge forward of it meant it was easy to knock your knee getting in and out if the driver's seat was well forward.

Back