Sheppach Scroll Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowman

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm just getting started in this scroll saw business and the Sheppach 405 has caught my attention and seems like a good place to start. I noticed one of the above posts said that the Sheppach 405 was made in the far east. I thought they were made in Germany, which was one of the reasons it attracted my attention. Can anyone advise me on this matter. I was thinking of getting an Excalibur EX21 but a lot of folks say they have had problems with it. Maybe the quality control in Taiwan where they are made. I don't really care where they are made as long as they do the job properly. And the Ex21 is twice the price of the Sheppach. Is it twice as good? Any help would be gratefully accepted. I don't want to rush in and make a wrong choice.

Thanks

It's difficult buying your 1st saw as you've possibly never seen one working let alone used one. I see you live in Essex, so how far away from an Axminster store do live? Could you go to one of their stores to have a look around and ask your questions there? I have one of their AWFS18 saws and for me it's the best saw I've had because it does everything I need from it. What you intend to make has a bearing on what saw you buy as well. How big are the things you want to make?
Roy

Hi Crowman. I had a brief look at the 405 you mentioned some time ago and it does not look to bad. As Roy B said, it would really be best if you could actually see one in the flesh and even better to see it working. The firm you mentioned is German and it's a bit like saying Record Power are British but most of their stuff is made in the far east like most other firms now. You don't want any vibration from the saw. I believe the 405 has variable speed, which in my book is essential. I am not sure if the machine has quick release blade clamps, which is another essential and I assume it will take pinless blades. If it only takes pinned blades then forget it, you wont get the blades though the small holes required for pierced work. You can always do a google search and see where your nearest dealer is and ask if you can have a demo.

Geoff.

Thank you for the replies. These comments have been really helpful. I do think now that the 405 is the one to go for, in terms of size and power, and it does seem to be reliable for what I've read on the web. I will follow your advice and check out suppliers, see the beast in the flesh before making any final decisions though. I am going to the Woodworking show in Kent so I hope to see something there.

Thanks again for your help

Jim

Crowman - I can recommend this saw for the price, its served me well and doesn't feel as 'cheap' as other modestly priced power tools I've bought. Definetely get Flying Dutchman blades though!

Chippygeoff & Crowman- I can confirm that the saw doesn't come with quick release blade clamps (agreed, essential), but it does take pinless blades. I've contacted the supplier to see if they have a mod, as there is something called a 'Quick Tension Holder' available on the site.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks Jadboog. The lack of quick release blades is interesting, another thing to think about. I also read another post about Hegners, so will be looking at those too. Trying to keep all my options open. As well as the bank account!

I had the exact same Hegner-Scheppach debate in my head before I bought and in the end decided to go for the cheaper option as I did not even know if I'd like scrolling. I guess 'essential' may be exagerrating a little unless you want to do really detailed fretwork with lots of interior cutting. As with most things make do with what you can afford - whilst a quick release mechanism might save 20seconds every change, I still managed to achieve quite a lot without - checkout my first scrolling project: christmas-t46565-15.html

Hi Jadboog. Very impressive work. It seems skilled craftsmen can work with anything but the better the machine the easier it is. So it comes down, as you say, to money and what we can afford.

Thanks again.

I have had the 405 for nearly a year, and find it very good, my only difficulty sometimes is locating the lower blade clamp screw, you need to beam some light in the area to see it. If you don't insert the blade and tighten it just right, it will pull out when tensioned. With experience and patience, it is manageable. I cannot see any reason for spending more money on a Hegner or any other machine, unless the lower blade clamp is more accessible and can be reset first time every time without fiddling. No problem with upper clamp. Powerful motor, no vibration, well built machine.
John

With experience and patience, a hand saw is also manageable. Boulle proved that.

I'd still rather use a Hegner.

Back